Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi all, I'm struggling to find any info on the current and planned state of the Self Declaration process for pilot medical fitness as its due to end March 31st 2021 in 2 ish weeks!

The new medicals procedure being developed by the CAA via their portal for Class 1/2 etc meds looks like it won't be up and running until April. I've completed that process already as it takes 10 days to get approved but the CAA have not yet implemented the new Medicals app so there may be a gap in terms of what can be done to either self declare or get a new class 2 sorted out.

For completeness; I have a PPL A/H, my Class PPL expired mid feb 21 - so I self declared to stay 'airworthy'. there is a section on my class 2 that says I have another year of medical as NPPL but im not sure this is relevant or applicable to my PPL A (I fly a Permit fixed wing and certified rotary).

Can anyone in the know throw any light on this matter?
Hello everyone,
So, just for clarification can i hold a UK CAA issued EASA FCL LAPL medical certificate AND a PMD at the same time ?
My LAPL medical certificate expires in Feb 2022, if i only intend to fly our PA28 would a PMD suffice?
I am trying to cover as many bases as possible as it seems that if they can screw you ...currently under the cover of covid and brexit...they will. !

Thanks.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
100poundburger wrote:Hello everyone,
So, just for clarification can i hold a UK CAA issued EASA FCL LAPL medical certificate AND a PMD at the same time ?
My LAPL medical certificate expires in Feb 2022, if i only intend to fly our PA28 would a PMD suffice?
I am trying to cover as many bases as possible as it seems that if they can screw you ...currently under the cover of covid and brexit...they will. !

Thanks.

I am sorry?

There is no need for that sort of inflammatory language, IMO.

With your LAPL licence and medical you can fly your PA 28 in the UK.

As the LAPL is not to the ICAO standard it is at the moment not possible to fly with that licence/medical combination outside the UK; maybe when the powers that are have a friendly getogether that will come.
Last edited by Flyin'Dutch' on Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have asked for the thread title to be changed.

AFAIK there is no end to the validity of PMDs issued to date; the only change post 31/3 is that the application needs to be made via the CAA Portal.

Holding a PMD and a UK CAA Medical at the same time is NO Problem.
JAFO liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:With your LAPL licence and medical you can fly your PA 28 in the UK.

The question was whether the OP could fly a PA28 using an LAPL and a PMD after February 2022 though....

From the link above:

A medical declaration (from 25th August 2016) is an affirmation of your medical ‘fitness to fly’ and may be used to exercise the privileges of a:

:
• UK Part-FCL Light Aircraft Pilots Licence (LAPL) to fly UK (G) registered Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft;
:

So...yes.
By 100poundburger
Hi Paul,
Thanks, i seem to have accidently offended or annoyed some people here...that was not my intention.
I was simply asking a question and seeking answers/opinions/views. The question was . I have a LAPL ( A).. My LAPL medical certificate expires in Feb 2022, if i want to continue to operate our Archer 3 can i do so using a PMD instead of another LAPL Medical certificate after Feb 2022 Obviously due to brexit that will have to be in uk airspace only. Further to that can i apply for a PMD and hold it at the same time as the existing medical cert. That was all . GI4GID.