Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Kaptin
I currently hold a LAPL, and I've got a little rough plan. It would involve getting an NPPL (SSEA) issued based on my LAPL (which looks to still be possible?), however I'm struggling to find what the requirements are to gain a "microlight class rating" for this NPPL (SSEA). It is almost implied a whole NPPL course is required, I assume this is not the case? Does anyone know the hours requirements to add a microlight class rating to an NPPL (SSEA)? Many thanks.

(and yes, I know I can fly microlights on my LAPL with differences training, there's a specific reason I say this for the NPPL!)
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I seem to remember the conversion doc was never updated to include lapl to nppl. Have you tried asking the BMAA for NPPL(m) from LAPL? I would be surprised if they said 'computer says No' but maybe they would but I would GUESS it should be 'training as required, an exam or three, and flights test(s)'
Kaptin liked this
Ah, thanks, that's an idea Irv - this is a much longer silly idea, so I won't bother them with it, but it's good to know that option may be there. In fact, I was a couple of years out of date in thinking that a SEP (Sea) rating couldn't be added to the LAPL, so this whole conversion idea may not be required -- assuming the CAA have copied that class rating ability over for my national LAPL!