Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By ginj
Hi all,

I'm looking at training towards an NPPL(M) and would like to find out what credits I could get towards the issue of the licence based on previous experience. I completed my commercial fixed wing training back in 2005/2006, I have an EASA ATPL, but have never had a SEP on my UK licence, the single engine requirements for the initial issue of my CPL were based on flying in NZ, with an NZ PPL.

I've had a look at the requirements, I'm hopeful I fit under 4.3 of the below:
http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence ... V%2011.pdf

Whilst my NZ PPL is valid for life, it is far from current! I'm awaiting a further response from the BMAA, however their initial thoughts were it could be difficult due to the lack of SEP on my UK licence.

Any suggestions or advice greatfully received.

G :)
By Arrow Flyer
What do you intend to fly afterwards? It's possible to complete training as required + skill test for initial issue of an SEP rating on your EASA licence.
By Arrow Flyer
Converting may cost you more. You'd have to do training as required by the BMAA, plus 3 writtens, then the GST and oral examination. SEP is training as required by an ATO/DTO plus SEP skill test, no writtens.

You can fly a microlight with your EASA licence + SEP class rating, a microlight instructor can then sign off differences training for the EV97. You'd also have more scope if you wanted to fly another SEP in future.

You say you have an EASA ATPL, so I assume the CAA are not your licensing authority? If they're not, you'd need to find an EASA approved ATO for the course but that's relatively straightforward.

If the BMAA are already making noises that it might be difficult, going down the SEP route may be easier.

Edited to add: All the ICAO conversions we've done before required the underlying licence/rating to be valid. If your NZ licence is valid, but SEP equivalent is not, you may not be able to convert without getting that current first. At that point, an initial SEP is a no-brainer.
By ginj
Many thanks for the reply. My Error - I hold UK ATPL, I've had a look and believe you could be right, depsite the hourly costs being higher for non-microlight types, the exams and licensing costs seem to be much cheaper for someone in my position.

Thanks again.
By Bathman
Another option as you hold an EASA ATPL is you could apply for a UK national ATPL (they might give u a national PPL if you don't hold a current multi crew rating).

You can then add a microlight rating onto a UK national licence what ever the flavour.