Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By wesleyrowe
Hi all

I am hoping somebody can give me some guidance. I have a NPPL with Microlight class rating. My revalidation is due by 31 March. I have met all criteria, except I still need 30 mins with an instructor. Clearly I haven't been able to do this due to the current Covid situation.

I wrote to the CAA who said exemption ORS4 1418 was released providing alternative arrangements for revalidation by experience, which is valid until the end of April. I went through this document but it does not make sense to me...Does this mean I have until the end of April to do my 30 mins with instructor? I shouldn't think so as April is the exemption end date..

Another way is to get my licence signed as single seat only, meaning I cant fly my C42 but as soon as I can do the 30 mins, this can be removed. Just having a look at what the options may be.

Thanks
Wes
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well I'm getting quite a number of pilots now believing that 1418 and 1416 extend their expired or even expiring in March ratings to end of April, which of course it does not, it just means that whenever your rating expired, it did so, and now is subject to renewal by prof check. If it is still current and expires end or March or end of April, its expiry date doesn't move and it will expire when it says, UNLESS you can meet the 'fewer than 12 hours, more than 12 to&l' criteria before it expires, in which case you can get a revalidation signature as per the table in one or the other exemption. But it doesn't apply if your rating expires May onwards. You can of course get your single seat rating now for two years, don't fly p1 until you have had an hour with an instructor, then ask for a 'full' rating to be signed up (to the same date as the single-seater). So you don't lose anything by getting a single seat rating revalidation, you effectively and in practice delay the need for the instructor hour.