Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi folks

I've previously had a UK CAA Class 2 medical which is expired, and I'm about to attend my Class 1 Initial. The application form requires you to declare if you've ever had any number of listed medical conditions and also if you're on any medication. In completing this (which I've done fully and honestly) it dawned on me that I should have declared a prescription which I've had for the last 5 years, with respect to my prior Class 2 medical. The prescription is only for food enzymes (which you can readily buy on Amazon or any health shop) but nevertheless I should have reported it to an AME. I wasn't aware that I needed to up until now, so it's a genuine oversight. The prescribing doctor confirmed it would have no impact on flying so I didn't think any further action was required.

I'm now very concerned about the consequences and whether it would result in me failing to obtain the Class 1. Does anyone have a view on how this will be perceived by the AME or the CAA? Is it a serious issue? Does the type of medication play a big part?

Thanks
KJ
You need AME advice [I am not one] and whatever you do just be up front with everything, helpful if you can collate any paperwork or reports related as well.

I would observe that generally the first line of discussion will be about what condition (s) required a prescription and what impact this has, as opposed to just what you are taking.

All the best
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It is more commonly that the underlying condition rather than the medication as such is of aeromedical interest.

Without knowing what the medication is and the underlying condition it is impossible for anyone on here (AME or not) to have any idea what the consequences may be. You will just have to go and own up.

Commonly the AME will discuss the issue with the CAA before a decision will be taken.

Non-disclosure is a hot topic for the CAA medical department but although there have been cases whereby it can lead to someone not being able to get a medical ever, that is not usual. Put on the hair shirt, own up and see what happens.
Thanks for the replies both. The condition is relatively minor and does not appear on the medical standards list of conditions (https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/By-class/Medical-standards-for-EASA-pilots/) so this in itself is less of a concern. Perhaps also of some help is also that this will be the first medical I've had since the condition was diagnosed so it's mainly a case of failing to inform an AME of a new prescription.

Hypothetically speaking, if the AME/CAA are totally fine with the condition and the medication, do you think the non-disclosure would be punished?
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:The CAA is the regulator and if they are fine with it then there is no problem.

Do you mean if they are fine with the medical condition, then you don't see there being a problem?

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Why don't you speak to your AME?

Well I don't have a current medical and the person who did my last medical retired so I don't have an AME currently, but I have a class 1 initial coming up shortly so this is where I'll declare it. I'm just freaking out about it and looking to understand the seriousness of not declaring a new prescription with the hope of being able to worry somewhat less about it over the coming weeks!
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kj1980 wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:The CAA is the regulator and if they are fine with it then there is no problem.

Do you mean if they are fine with the medical condition, then you don't see there being a problem?

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Why don't you speak to your AME?

Well I don't have a current medical and the person who did my last medical retired so I don't have an AME currently, but I have a class 1 initial coming up shortly so this is where I'll declare it. I'm just freaking out about it and looking to understand the seriousness of not declaring a new prescription with the hope of being able to worry somewhat less about it over the coming weeks!

The CAA needs to be fine with the medical condition, the medication/treatment and the non-declaration.

Freaking out is never a good reaction for a pilot. When is your Class 1?