Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hello Aviators and Aviatrix,

I am hoping to gain some insight from the community on the option to receive a standalone FAA Private Cert in the UK.

I did some searching on forums but all of it seems related to the piggyback system

Some background, I am a dual UK/US citizen, residing in the UK with a UK Part FCL PPL (A) SEP.

My intentions are to eventually gain my commercial but due to a change in circumstances I am most likely returning to the US. This got me thinking how great it would be to land back in the US of A with a ready to go licence.

I am familiar with the requirements but not of any providers for FAA training / examining in the UK, specifically in the North London area (Elstree, North Weald ... even Cranfield etc).

There is no rush, I'm not leaving tomorrow, but would anyone have any providers that they can recommend or any hints/tips for doing this in the UK?

Thanks in advance for your kind comments.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Even if you could find an FAA instructor to train you in the UK, you will need to take the computer-based written test in the US; the option to do it in the UK (or anywhere outside of US territories) was rescinded by the FAA a few years ago.

There are at least two Europe-based examiners, but I’m not sure on whether they conduct flight tests over here.
Thanks so much for your responses. Seems like I'll be doing it back in the U.S. then when the time is right.

In the mean time... here's hoping we'll all be airborne in the UK someday soon. I'm Itching to get back behind the controls!