Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Recent years I have been flying abroad (EU)on a LAPL medical which it seems it will no longer be possible to use for flying outside of the UK post March 31st.
Note: I am referring to the Medical , not the Licence, which of course is now UK only.
Last edited by Shoestring Flyer on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had understood that LAPL with LAPL medical was OK within EASA land but now we have left EASA it no longer has any validity outside the UK and so an ICAO licence with Class 2 medical would be the minimum.
Kittyhawk wrote:A particularly sore point for me, having recently spent the thick end of £400 on an LAPL medical and cardiology report and as it now stands I may as well have just done a PMD, as I cannot fly on the continent anymore.

As I said on another thread, I made a schoolboy error in the same way when I renewed my medical in December... :roll:

Ian
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Am I correct in thinking that as things stand at the moment post March 31st the basic minimum medical requirements to fly any class of aircraft outside of the UK, forgetting for a minute the licence held, will be a Class 2 medical ?

Why March 31st though? The UK LAPL ceased to be EASA compliant 1st Jan.
JAFO liked this
Dodo wrote:For some reason I have the impression that a LAPL medical issued in the UK before 31/12/20 was still valid for flights in EASA airspace until its expiry date, but I may be completely wrong, and can't find a reference.

It’s the case that an EASA medical (including LAPL I guess) issued by a UK AME prior to 31st December remains valid until its expiry for use with an EASA licence from another EU member state, however I don’t think that applies to UK licence holders.

It’s just a practical thing such that every non-UK licence holder who has a UK issued medical doesn’t have to go and another one I think.

You could argue that UK Part-FCL PPL + EASA LAPL medical should be a valid combo in Europe, but I’m not sure whether the legality of such a combo has been given much thought.
Sorry..I confused things I think by bringing in the 31st March which my own personal LAPLmedical expiry date!

I think I now have it straight in my head..

A LAPL medical is valid until expiry date this year.
Problem is that a LAPL licence became UK flight only on Jan 2021. So that combo is a no-go for foreign flight in 2021!

However if you have an EASA PPL together in use with the remaining balance of your LAPL medical you should be good for foreign flight until whenever this year your LAPL medical expires.

After that it is a Class 2 medical that is needed for foreign flight in any type of aircraft.
johnm liked this
However if you have an EASA PPL together in use with the remaining balance of your LAPL medical you should be good for foreign flight until whenever this year your LAPL medical expires.

I think even that might be a bit of a grey area unless there is some statement re this that I haven’t seen.

As an Irish EASA licence holder I was told I was OK on a medical issued by a UK AME (but obviously medial records held by Ireland) in 2020 until it expired, including after Jan 2021.

But if I held a UK Part-FCL PPL (or higher) and said I wanted to use my LAPL medical issued by the same UK AME but records held by UK CAA, in 2021, I’m not sure what attitude an EASA member state would take.