Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Baldrick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I was due to take a revalidation training flight in the next couple of weeks. I have the necessary hours landings etc for EASA PPL SEP revalidation.
As from last night’s lockdown it would be unwise or illegal to have an hour training flight.
A good friend said that the couple of hours instruction I had in a C42 microlight before the first lockdown would count even though I did not have a proficiency check or skills test. Is anyone able to confirm that?
Thanks
By Baldrick
Thanks. Actually not quite correct though; as long as you have the requisite 12 hrs and 12 take offs and landings. “If you have already completed proficiency check or skills test in another type or class of aeroplane, you will not have to complete this training flight.”
By ak7274
Then why ask?

If you haven't had a minimum 1 hour with an Instructor in an SEP, I wouldn't sign your SEP revalidation.
If you hade the requisite hours/ldgs etc in a microlight and 1 Hr SEP with instructor, I would.
If you had the hours requirement and the minimum 1 hr instructor flight, all in Microlight, I wouldn't.
By Baldrick
Because I wanted to know if I had flight training hours this year in a non SEP aircraft if would count. I was hoping that someone would know rather than waiting months for a reply to my email to the CAA.
By Irv Lee
An hour training in a 3 axis microlight (eg c42) would count for sep reval n a UK non-Fcl ppl, but not for sep reval in an FCL (ex easa) ppl. (Legal) P1 time in 3 axis microlights can count for both sorts of sep reval, it is just the training hour that is allowed in one but not in the other.
Last edited by Irv Lee on Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baldrick liked this
By Irv Lee
I try and predict or notice confusing GA issues, and put the solution or answer or whatever helps explain it in my (2 page) onepage catch up. See halfway down page 1 of my http://www.higherplane.co.uk/bfr-ground.pdf
So Baldrick, do you have a cunning plan? ;-)
Baldrick liked this
By Baldrick
ak7274 wrote:Then why ask?

If you haven't had a minimum 1 hour with an Instructor in an SEP, I wouldn't sign your SEP revalidation.
If you hade the requisite hours/ldgs etc in a microlight and 1 Hr SEP with instructor, I would.
If you had the hours requirement and the minimum 1 hr instructor flight, all in Microlight, I wouldn't.

Are you an instructor or CRI then?
By GrahamB
Baldrick wrote:Thanks. Actually not quite correct though; as long as you have the requisite 12 hrs and 12 take offs and landings. “If you have already completed proficiency check or skills test in another type or class of aeroplane, you will not have to complete this training flight.”

An hour training flight doesn’t count as ‘a proficiency check or skills test’.
By JAFO
GrahamB wrote:
Baldrick wrote:Thanks. Actually not quite correct though; as long as you have the requisite 12 hrs and 12 take offs and landings. “If you have already completed proficiency check or skills test in another type or class of aeroplane, you will not have to complete this training flight.”

An hour training flight doesn’t count as ‘a proficiency check or skills test’.

No, but does a proficiency check or skills test count as a training flight?
By Cookie
FCL.740.A:

Applicants shall be exempted from this refresher training if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency check, skill test or assessment of competence in any other class or type of aeroplane.

A class or type rating skill test, proficiency check, or assessment of competence counts in lieu of the training flight.

Cookie
JAFO, ak7274, Baldrick liked this
By Irv Lee
Cookie wrote:FCL.740.A:

Applicants shall be exempted from this refresher training if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency check, skill test or assessment of competence in any other class or type of aeroplane.

A class or type rating skill test, proficiency check, or assessment of competence counts in lieu of the training flight.

Cookie

I would imagine that when EASA originally said test, checks, etc, EASA did not mean the ones for non-EASA (FCL) ratings or licences not part of FCL (eg: a microlight), but if the CAA decides that after 8+ years, it is no longer scared ****less by any future EASA auditor, that would be fine by me, as they already accept a revalidation prof check in a 3 axis microlight as counting for SEP revalidation in a non-FCL PPL
Baldrick liked this