Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By condor17
Happier New Year all ..
Just a few simple ques... brain has failed after last year's overload ..
At the current time 4/1/21 ...

1 , Can UK issued EASA PPLs and LAPLs fly EASA a/c ie. PA 28s C152s etc. on a PMD ?
2. If 1. is yes , is there an approaching end date to this privilege ?

3. UK PPLs and UK NPPLs ... Can they fly EASA a/c ie. Pa28s , C152s at this time ?
4. If 3. is yes ...Is there an approaching end date to this privilege ?

Thanks in advance to those with better memory , or legislation knowledge than I .

rgds condor .
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@JAFO unless I misunderstood, doesn't your (2) contradict your (1)? (end date for using PMD in Pa28 etc)
1 , Can UK issued EASA PPLs and LAPLs fly EASA a/c ie. PA 28s C152s etc. on a PMD ?
2. If 1. is yes , is there an approaching end date to this privilege ?

3. UK PPLs and UK NPPLs ... Can they fly EASA a/c ie. Pa28s , C152s at this time ?
4. If 3. is yes ...Is there an approaching end date to this privilege?

1 yes
2 Until end of March, but VERY hard to believe it will end there.
3 No*
4 We want an approaching date to START!

*I have raised elsewhere that there is some very loose wording on a couple of CAA statements about UK ICAO licences and G reg aircraft that might simply be loose wording (my assumption would be that is the case), but equally, it would be very annoying to find out later that since leaving EASA there is an unresolved legal conflict between UK ICAO commitments and UK FCL, namely whether a non-FCL PPL-SEP-Class2 (being ICAO compliant) could fly a G reg certified (part21) aircraft. FCL says it cannot, ICAO commitments mean the opposite, the difference being that in the EU there was no doubt that FCL over-rode our ICAO commitments, but now, FCL is UK law, and I wondered if this made any significant difference that is not being explained to us.
On various SEP/SSEA rules, I'm trying to home in on changes , so anyone with a physical or software magnifying glass might be interested in http://www.higherplane.co.uk/bfr-ground.pdf - any tweaky comments or exemptions I haven't spotted are welcome - thanks @cookie for pointing out a new exemption-like document the other day, the one that you take with you abroad to explain that even though your medical/licence might mention EASA in print, it doesn't mean it, but it is legally accepted in G reg.
Last edited by Irv Lee on Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JAFO
@Irv Lee - I would be happy to be corrected, very happy indeed but as I understand it, you could not fly an EASA type on an NPPL and, as yet, that hasn't changed.

So, no contradiction, you can fly an EASA type on a LAPL with a PMD until March, you can't fly an EASA type on an NPPL no matter what medical you might have.
By Irv Lee
JAFO wrote:@Irv Lee - I would be happy to be corrected, very happy indeed but as I understand it, you could not fly an EASA type on an NPPL and, as yet, that hasn't changed.

They cannot, but that is the answer to question number 3 not question number 2! I was commenting you are out of sync on the Q/A numbering: ie rather than "2. No", shouldn't it be:
1. Yes until the end of March

2. See (answer 1)

3. No
By Paul_Sengupta
Irv Lee wrote:in the EU there was no doubt that FCL over-rode our ICAO commitments, but now, FCL is UK law, and I wondered if this made any significant difference

I'm wondering, like I said on the other thread about the LAPL, whether the CAA want to keep things as aligned as possible at the moment to not put a spanner in the works of mutual recognition.

I'd like to think that the EU/EASA wouldn't be as petty as to block mutual recognition because we allow national licence holders to fly "EASA/Part 21" aircraft, but knowing EU/EASA negotiation so far, I think they'd use any excuse, probably wrapped up in some legalese/bureaucratic nonsense about their hands being tied.