Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By 100poundburger
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hello People,
Does anyone know, or have ideas how rolling validity is supposed to work if one holds an LAPL ( A)
whilst being subject to these lockdowns.
As if the weather, airport closures , maintenance issues, etc. were not enough ...doh !
Maybe i am missing something ..

Useful/helpful replies only please...i am quite good at sarcasm too... but that's no use.

Stay safe ( the new normal )
Juliet Papa liked this
Check CAA ORS 4 No.1416, Point 4 on Page 3.

Rolling validity will work the way it always has. Remember, the LAPL itself is both the licence and the rating so ignore SEP validity extensions in other ORS documents.

If you haven't got the hours, either fly under the supervision of an instructor or complete a LAPL prof check with an Examiner. Happy to help you out with either..!

The most important point to note is that for the LAPL the recency requirements are over the last 2 years, whereas with an SEP class rating the requirements must be met during the 2nd year of the validity period.
Last edited by Arrow Flyer on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
No problem, happy to clarify.

If you read the headline, ORS 4 1416 is about SEP/TMG class ratings but when you read it it says:

Holders of light aircraft pilot licence for aeroplanes (LAPL(A)) and sailplane licence (SPL) with
TMG privileges: Due to the format of the recency requirements - ‘the rolling validity’, and as the
flight experience required is over 24 months, it is anticipated that this exemption is not necessary
for holders of LAPL(A) and SPL with TMG privileges.

From my reading it was anticipated, rightly or wrongly, that because LAPL holders can consider a 2 year period for recency they were less likely to be impacted therefore wouldn't need an extension like that offered to SEP/TMG class rating holders who have to meet the revalidation requirements in the second year of validity. Hence, no amendment/variation/exemption to LAPL rolling validity was issued.

Edited my above post to reflect the above paragraph is on Page 3 of ORS 4 1416.
Aaaah, I hadn't read all the way down.
Thanks for the correction, Arrow Flyer.

So LAPL(A) & SPL holders have no need for extensions, Covid or otherwise.
Just keep on going with rolling validity.

To my mind, MUCH simpler than expiry dates, examiners signatures and the like.