Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By jayooo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Afternoon all,

I'm in the process of submitting my application for issue of a PPL(A).

I've gotten to the tick box "Do you have a UK National type rating for which you need a UK PPLA National aeroplane licence in addition to this EASA licence (additional fee applies)?" and I seem to recall reading a few posts where it was recommended to apply for a UK PPL at the same time as applying for an EASA one - I can't for the life of me find those posts during my last hour or so of searching.

I don't have any existing ratings for which a UK PPL would be required, but I'm just attempting to future proof potential additional licence fees incurred as a result of brexit, so, is this the tick box referred to, and if so, is it still worth ticking to obtain a UK PPL at the same time?
By Kemble Pitts
Not sure about the box as I had my CAA PPL long before getting an EASA one, but your thinking is correct in my eyes.

Get as many licences as you can and just maybe one of them will be the right one at some point. :shock:
jayooo liked this
By jayooo
Thanks for the response, that was my initial thought too, however the more I read the question I think it is actually in relation to an NPPL as opposed to a UK PPL, based on the question text and the below text in the help section

"The CAA has amended the Air Navigation Order so that EASA licences with the appropriate class ratings are valid for non-EASA aircraft within those classes; thereby avoiding the need for the holder of an EASA PPL(A) with SEP rating to also hold a national licence in order to fly an amateur-built aeroplane or a Tigermoth, for example. Please therefore indicate if you wish to retain or be issued with a UK National Pilot’s Licence to continue to operate Annex II aircraft"

So I suspect the answer is actually no as an NPPL will likely be of little use to me.

Has anyone else been through the process recently?
By Kemble Pitts
Very confusing.

However it falls out, make sure you get both a UK CAA PPL (not an NPPL) as well as an EASA PPL. I and many others have both so don't let them tell you it isn't allowed.
By jayooo
Isn't it just. Well... I've ticked the box to get one.

Read some conflicting posts online but as you say, I'd be inclined to agree with your approach of getting as many licences as you can, whether they will prove useful or not.

Will see what turns up...
Kemble Pitts liked this
By skydriller
Kemble Pitts wrote:Get as many licences as you can and just maybe one of them will be the right one at some point. :shock:

I have become a great believer in this.

I didnt even notice the box when I originally changed my licence from JAA to EASA. Since then I paid good money for the little box tick prior to doing a SOLI change as BREXIT insurance. Right now it looks like I wasted my money, and after Jan 1st 2021 I wont be able to fly a G-reg on my UK PPL but the foriegn EASA PPL will work just fine...who'ed have guessed!!

But you never know...

Regards, SD..
jayooo liked this
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
I might be mis-remembering, but I do not think the CAA will issue a new UK PPL unless you have previously held one, (which you would if you have a UK national type rating). The question asked is do you "need" one, not do you "want" one and I think it only applies in the rare case that you had an expiring UK PPL (most were lifetime) which they will replace with a non-expiring one for £38.
By Bathman
The CAA are legally able to issue new UK PPL's it's just against their policy and they will only issue EASA ones.

CAP1986 days that all EASA licences have to be changed to UK one in 5 years for which their is a fee of146 quid if I remember correctly.

If I was apply for a ppl tomorrow I would be a bit aggrieved.
By skydriller
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:I might be mis-remembering, but I do not think the CAA will issue a new UK PPL unless you have previously held one, (which you would if you have a UK national type rating). The question asked is do you "need" one, not do you "want" one and I think it only applies in the rare case that you had an expiring UK PPL (most were lifetime) which they will replace with a non-expiring one for £38.

I dont know if anything has changed this year, but in 2018/2019 the CAA would issue you with a UK PPL on the back of your EASA PPL. I did it in 2018 before SOLI and never had an original UK PPL before - I was one of the first to do the JAA-PPL. I recall at least a couple of posters saying they had done it in 2019 before SOLI.

Regards, SD..
By GrahamB
Bathman wrote:CAP1986 says that all EASA licences have to be changed to UK one in 5 years for which their is a fee of146 quid if I remember correctly.

£77 for PPLs.

I suspect a way round it may be to 'change your address' before the 5 years is up.
By GrahamB
SteveX wrote:I don't think that issues a new licence for free. Just amends their records. So everyone now has to save up £77 in 5 years................

They issued me with new licences FOC when I changed address two years ago.
By PeteSpencer
I've held a UK PPL(A) issued when EASA appeared, as well as a EASA PPL(A).

They both replaced my lifetime Poo Brown: The word on the Forum block at the time was to get a CAA/UK PPL as well as a EASA PPL , for just such an eventuality as the one we're facing right now.

Amazing foresight: I also made sure that all my examiner entries/revalidations (annually in one case) were added to both and signed up by the examiner.

So I don't see ,in my case, any reason to be panicked into doing a SOLI or whatever the expression is.

Peter :wink:
By AndyR
PeteSpencer wrote:I've held a UK PPL(A) issued when EASA appeared, as well as a EASA PPL(A).

<snip>

So I don't see ,in my case, any reason to be panicked into doing a SOLI or whatever the expression is.

Peter :wink:

Except your EASA PPL will shortly become a UK issued PPL again, certainly within the next five years, or the next time you need to send it in for any reason.
By jayooo
Thanks for everyone’s responses, 1x EASA licence turned up and 0x UK CAA licence with no explanation or refund for the non issued licence, so I believe the below is correct...
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:I might be mis-remembering, but I do not think the CAA will issue a new UK PPL unless you have previously held one, (which you would if you have a UK national type rating). The question asked is do you "need" one, not do you "want" one and I think it only applies in the rare case that you had an expiring UK PPL (most were lifetime) which they will replace with a non-expiring one for £38.

The wording is indeed “do you need one” and the answer in my case is no, but it was worth a shot anyhow...

To anyone else with the same question, don’t bother ticking the box!