Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Folks, I hope you can be of assistance to answer what is probably a silly question.

Are there under circumstances under which a pilot can perform practice instrument approaches without holding a valid instrument rating (restricted or otherwise). Words such as safety pilot and competent observer spring to mind, but I am struggling to find a reference to validate an answer.

To clarify, I am referring to any approach being conducted strictly in VMC, and a proper practice approach, not just having the ILS dialed up in the background.

Many many thanks in advance.
So you must have a safety pilot if you are wanting to fly in simulated instrument flight conditions (Part-SERA.3220).
You can't operate under IFR unless you or your instructor has a valid rating (Part-FCL.600 IR — General). The approach clearance is implicitly an IFR clearance (I believe).

You could discuss with ATC (probably by phone in advance) whether they would let you fly the profile of an approach VFR but it wouldn't be a "real" instrument approach, and you'd need to be looking out the window for see and avoid unless another pilot was sitting beside you looking out.