Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi

Just looking at the guidance here: https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1374.pdf

I have two ratings on an EASA PPL(A)

TMG – Would have expired April 2020 BUT was renewed just prior to the COVID-19 restrictions, so now expires April 2022
SEP(Land) – Expires June 2020

IF I need to make use of the extension for my SEP rating, this would result in my two ratings then expiring 7 months apart.

Ideally, it is best if they are kept aligned, or at least no more than 2 or 3 months apart (as is the case at present) due to being able to cross credit the revalidation by experience requirements (hours and hour with an instructor etc) between TMG and SEP.

I wonder, is it possible disregard my revalidation by experience signed up on my TMG rating (on 16th March) extending it from April 2020 to April 2022 in order to apply the ORS 1374 to my TMG rating alongside my SEP rating, thus keeping them aligned.

I only ask, as had I not already had the TMG rating extended then it would have absoultely been possible. In my mind it is just a paperwork exercise.

Failing this, is it possible to subsequently align ratings on an EASA PPL (Similar to how you can on an NPPL).

For example:

TMG expires April 2022
SEP expires Nov 2022 (assuming it is extended by ORS 1374 to Nov 2020 then revalidated as per normal guidelines for 2 years from this date)

Can I simply extend the TMG as per normal revalidation requirements from April 2022 to Nov 2022 (instead of April 2024) as this is less than 2 years.
THEN
Extend TMG again alongside SEP from Nov 2022 to Nov 2024 (obviously as long as all revalidation by experience requirements are met).

Regards
Revalidation of one rating automatically revalidates the other. PIC hours, TOs & landings & the training hour can be done in either, TMG hours count for SEP & vice versa. The examiner or FCL 945 instructor who signs the licence can sign for both ratings, even if they don't hold a TMG or SEP rating themselves. FCL.740.A (b) (2):
When applicants hold both a single-engine piston aeroplane-land class rating and a TMG rating, they may complete the requirements of (1) in either class or a combination thereof, and achieve revalidation of both ratings.

Your best bet is to go back to the guy who signed the licence for the TMG rating earlier this year & persuade him to also sign off for the SEP. Failing that, use the extension for the SEP & then revalidate both ratings when you next revalidate the SEP. It may feel like you are losing some of your TMG validity period; in fact you will be extending your TMG rating for another two years.
Hi @low&slow , thanks for the reply.

I always thought that although I could cross credit the hours between the two (TMG and SEP), the expiry date of each individual rating remained as was and I had to evaluate each separately based on the preceding 12 months for each ratings expiry date.

I would be very pleased if I could do as you've outlined.
I always thought that although I could cross credit the hours between the two (TMG and SEP), the expiry date of each individual rating remained as was and I had to evaluate each separately based on the preceding 12 months for each ratings expiry date.

That's what FCL.740.A (b) (1) (ii) says, but the bit I quoted is the very next paragraph and specifically allows you to use "either class or a combination thereof, and achieve revalidation of both ratings."

Just for SEP(land) & TMG class ratings though. You can also have SEP(sea), MEP(land) & MEP(sea) class ratings on a PPL(A) & your TMG hours are no help in revalidating those ratings.