Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Vulcan
Hi,
I am a high time PPL and my Class 2 expires in 6 weeks, my AME is not renewing any medical certificates at the moment for obvious reasons.
Does the latest document (1370) published by the CAA literally mean that as long as I self declare before April 8th, I can continue to fly as a PPL for the short term?
I note that restrictions are imposed with this exemption but at least once lockdown is over or at least eased, we can still fly even if our medical has expired.
Any advice on this will be very welcome
Thanks
By flyingsniffer
On a similar but different vein, I applied for the PMD on Monday, informed my AME (one I have been to for many years and has probably taken £10k off me!) that my medical booked for next week was not required - and honestly, I'm not spending weeks hiding from people to pay a visit to a doctor's surgery - to which I received this rather terse (with an implied threat) reply:

"The notification we have from the CAA and IAA is that "whenever normal revalidation facilities are available", then the extension of medical certificate validity does not apply. We and many other AME's are providing normal medical revalidation facilities. Thus medicals should continue to be carried out in the normal way.

He says it is therefore not possible to extend your medical date.

As long as you are symptom-free, you can keep the appointment as planned."

Since then, ORS4.1374 has been published which further convinces me that my AME is rather misleading.

Can anyone comfirm my viewpoint and does any one know an alternative sensible AME in the Northern Home counties, for me to book with in the summer?
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The notification we have from the CAA and IAA is that "whenever normal revalidation facilities are available", then the extension of medical certificate validity does not apply. We and many other AME's are providing normal medical revalidation facilities. Thus medicals should continue to be carried out in the normal way.

The implication of this statement is that everyone is required to travel as far as is necessary to find an AME still willing and able to work, and that using a PMD is not an acceptable alternative.
Neither of these is correct, particularly given the present travel restrictions,
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By flyingsniffer
Thanks. I'll point out the error of his ways. If he isn't sufficiently contrite I will find a new AME, simple as that.
By Flyin'Dutch'
@flyingsniffer

Wow - how many medicals have you had and for how long?

Anyway if that what you have written is a verbatim quote from an email then that is very interesting; that is certainly not what either in text or tone has been promulgated by the CAA.

Anyway I am not in the Northern Home Counties and not sure if I can help with the sensible bit either, but you are welcome to come and see me when this is over either in either of my clinics.

In the meantime enjoy flying on your PMD; emailed as many of my customers as possible as well as putting notices on here and on FB for pilots to do the Self Declaration so they can keep flying.

Most doctors can earn a crust sans AvMeds.
By Flyin'Dutch'
flybymike wrote:
The notification we have from the CAA and IAA is that "whenever normal revalidation facilities are available", then the extension of medical certificate validity does not apply. We and many other AME's are providing normal medical revalidation facilities. Thus medicals should continue to be carried out in the normal way.

The implication of this statement is that everyone is required to travel as far as is necessary to find an AME still willing and able to work, and that using a PMD is not an acceptable alternative.
Neither of these is correct, particularly given the present travel restrictions,

Indeed the currently held view by the regulator and AMEs is

1. Exemptions are in place for professional pilots and controllers
2. The PMD is there for the largest part of recreational flyers
3. Exemptions are in place for Class 2 and LAPLs

Doing medicals is not forbidden but the CAA have made it clear that

a. people need to work within the constrictions placed upon the population
b. stick to CAA and GMC guidelines
c. need to do an assessment about the necessity of a medical assessment at the current time.

That means that it might be possible, taking in consideration best safe practice, to do a medical assessment for someone who needs to return to flying and has no current medical, if their flying is for the emergency services or such; but anything else might be very difficult to justify.
flybymike, PaulB liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@flyingsniffer

Wow - how many medicals have you had and for how long?

Anyway if that what you have written is a verbatim quote from an email then that is very interesting; that is certainly not what either in text or tone has been promulgated by the CAA.

Anyway I am not in the Northern Home Counties and not sure if I can help with the sensible bit either, but you are welcome to come and see me when this is over either in either of my clinics.

In the meantime enjoy flying on your PMD; emailed as many of my customers as possible as well as putting notices on here and on FB for pilots to do the Self Declaration so they can keep flying.

Most doctors can earn a crust sans AvMeds.

Well, you know me FD: can't resist a bit of information inflation ;-). It's probably more like 14 medicals since the mid 90s. I shall tell him to stick his appointment, it would be a pleasure to come and see you if he plays hard ball.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this