Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
User avatar
By 4535jacks
I have a UK issued EASA PPL which I plan to SOLI change to an Irish PPL to allow to train for a EASA CPL next year.

Alongside this I would like to get and maintain a UK PPL so I can keep my IR(R) and Sailplane towing rating.

How does one get one of these licences?

Do you have to wait until SOLI is complete and if so do you have to do another initial medical as your medical records will be held in Ireland?

Is it possible to hold an EASA CPL and UK CPL at the same time?
User avatar
By Paul_Sengupta
4535jacks wrote:How does one get one of these licences?

I'm not sure, fill in the forms, but @Skydriller has done this so maybe he can comment.

4535jacks wrote:Do you have to wait until SOLI is complete

No, do it before you transfer.

4535jacks wrote:Is it possible to hold an EASA CPL and UK CPL at the same time?

I believe so.
User avatar
By derekf
Email sent to me following a discussion with the CAA in Jan after I had SOLI'd to Austria:

Thank you for your telephone call earlier

Although you can only hold one EASA licence at a time, it is possible to hold both an EASA licence and a national licence.

However, it is important to understand that a UK ANO (national) licence gives the holder no privileges at all to operate aircraft subject to Regulation (EU) 2018/1139. In other words, a UK national licence can only be used to fly Annex I (previously called Annex II), non-EASA aircraft. As such, EASA type ratings, such as A320 or B777, would not appear on a UK national licence.

In addition, a UK national licence would not allow you to exercise any Instructor or Examiner privileges for the issue, revalidation or renewal of privileges on a Part-FCL licence. This includes the ability to instruct for IMC/IRR ratings. Any training or testing conducted for a rating on an EASA licence will not be accepted by the UK CAA and the pilot’s application will be rejected.

If you still wish to apply for a national licence, you will need to submit the following:

    Application form SRG1102, with a covering letter
    If you have never held a UK national licence before, you will need to write in Section 6 of the application form: ‘I am applying for the issue of a UK licence on the basis of my EASA licence’.
    A certified copy of your current licence
    Fee of £143 (professional licences) or £77 (private licences)

You can post these documents to the address in my signature or email them to licenceapplications@caa.co.uk

Kind regards,

I believe you can also get one provided prior to transfer - try giving the CAA a call (they were quite helpful on the phone and then followed up with useful email
User avatar
By Paul_Sengupta
Not at the moment, but most probably your EASA PPL will become a UK PPL next year, and thus you'll only be able to fly G reg aeroplanes. The point of moving your state of registration for your EASA licence is then to be able to fly F reg, D reg, etc, especially outside the UK. The point of having a UK PPL in addition to the EASA PPL will then be to retain the ability to fly G reg!
skydriller liked this
User avatar
By skydriller
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I'm not sure, fill in the forms, but @Skydriller has done this so maybe he can comment.

You need to get the UK PPL based on your UK issued EASA PPL (This also works for CPL according to SteveC) before you SOLI.

As instructed by the UK CAA at the time, I sent off all the paperwork at the beginning of December 2018 to have a UK-PPL in addition to my UK issued EASA PPL. You need a CFI signed copy of your EASA licence & Passport/ID, I used the JAR -> EASA form SRG1104 with cover letter explaining what I wanted. Oh, and dont forget the £57...

Then I SOLI'ed my EASA PPL to the DGAC.

Regards, SD..

Edit to add: @derekf in his reply from the CAA has a different form and different price quoted than myself in december 2018. Might be worth a call to check before applying and make sure to include the name of the person at the CAA giving the advice in any application sent.
Last edited by skydriller on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Arclite01
So what is a G Reg aeroplane ?

All aircraft are G Reg in the UK. They are different EASA categories.

But after we leave EASA does that effectively mean again that (for example) an NPPL holder can only fly non-EASA aircraft (what was previously Annex II) or does it mean we can expect that any aircraft on a G Reg regardless of what was it's EASA category can be flown ?

I am confused..................

User avatar
By Paul_Sengupta
I think we can expect that no G reg aeroplanes will be EASA aeroplanes any more if the UK leaves EASA.

Stopping people with UK licences flying G reg aeroplanes in the first place is contra to ICAO.