Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By ls8pilot
Can one of the AME's maybe explain the blood pressure readings needed for an LAPL medical?

The notes for GP's seem to say that any reading over 165/95 needs to be referred to an AME (I believe this is also the DVLA Class 2 limit), but only the CAA guidance to AME's I can find says you need consistent readings of below 140/90.

Just wondered which of these applies, and what the difference is?
By Flyin'Dutch'
There are no hard limits for the LAPL so best medical practise applies.

>160 and >95 needs attention, irrespective of flying desires.
By ls8pilot
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:There are no hard limits for the LAPL so best medical practise applies.

Thanks, I was wondering how hard and fast the 140/90 limit was - easy to get under this at home, sometimes a little over in the GP's surgery!
By MattZ
Hi!

I even created a profile on this forum to answer your question, so as it's the first post here - hello world!

Answering your question - I'd strongly recommend get a proper treatment of your hypertension ASAP. I've lost several family members related to strokes and heart attacks.

I am 25 yo and already on treatment (I have days where I extend 140/90 a little thanks to genetics), and obtaining and keeping my Class 1 medical motivates me to go to the gym, take pills regularly, and visit cardiologist in regular basis as well.
Treatment is fully supported by EASA PART-MED, almost all newest medicals are approved (you only need to prove it's a Primary HT, not a 2ndary, and you need to take pills for few weeks proving that this particular medicament is not giving you any unwanted consequences). That's it. No limitations at all regarding MultiCrew or something even on class 1. The only thing I've got, that as usually in my age people get Class 2 medical for 5 years, I'm shortened up to 2 years. And I am happy to see 125/75 after several months of lifestyle change and treatment. During medicals my BP used to go even higher due to stress (what score will I get today? it's AME in front of me!!), now I go with pace :)
By derekf
ls8pilot wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:There are no hard limits for the LAPL so best medical practise applies.

Thanks, I was wondering how hard and fast the 140/90 limit was - easy to get under this at home, sometimes a little over in the GP's surgery!

Record your blood pressure at home for a week and take results to AME (the CAA provide some hypertension guidance with home testing referred to) - helps set benchmark...
ls8pilot liked this
By ls8pilot
MattZ wrote:Hi!

Answering your question - I'd strongly recommend get a proper treatment of your hypertension ASAP. I've lost several family members related to strokes and heart attacks.

Sorry, should have made clear I am on treatment and have been for some time. My GP is happy with the level of control - it's just that when he sees a reading of (say) 145/85 in the surgery he'll say "OK, I see the home readings are lower so no problem" and I was trying to reconcile that with what the CAA says.

I think this has been answered by all the above advice, so I'll stop worrying :roll: