Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
#1746736
At a recent EASA meeting, it was stated that the BASA should finally appear 'soon' in 2020.

The scope will be limited to private operation of SEP and MEP aeroplanes, although there was nothing to infer that this would be VFR only. Hence it should include IFR operation.

However, it will be a US / EU agreement, so will not be available to non-EU EASA Member States such as Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein or Switzerland.

It will only be available for the UK during the so-called 'transition period', currently due to end on 31 Dec 2020.
#1746741
nickwilcock wrote:However, it will be a US / EU agreement, so will not be available to non-EU EASA Member States such as Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein or Switzerland.


What’s the basis of that given that EASA Is the European UNION Aviation Safety Agency?

For clarity and before people wade in, I’m just curious as on the face of it, it seems odd.
#1746744
GrahamB wrote:Because the agreement is between the USA and the EU, not the FAA and EASA?


Probably.... I guess that the devil will be in the detail.
#1746749
The U.K. is neither in the EU nor a member of EASA so it’s also odd that we will benefit (until 31/12/20)? It just shows how complex these things are, doesn’t it?
#1746751
PaulB wrote:The U.K. is neither in the EU nor a member of EASA so it’s also odd that we will benefit (until 31/12/20)? It just shows how complex these things are, doesn’t it?

Not really. From the EASA site:
Under the terms of its Withdrawal Agreement, EU Law will apply for the UK during a transition period until 31/12/2020.

During this time, the UK will be treated as an EU member state, but will no longer take part in any decision making or decision shaping activities at EASA (‘principle of non-participation’).
#1746769
But as stated above it's not an EASA agreement .... it's an EU one and we're not in the EU (as Boris! :-) )

Seriously, we're not in EASA either (try finding the UK in the list of member states) although, yes, we're being treated as though we are except for no input at the top (or indeed any) table.
#1746776
I think we're talking at cross purposes.

I just can't see why Switzerland (eg) is excluded when it is not in the EU but is treated as an EASA member state (by virtue of *being* an EASA member state) yet the UK which is being treated as an EASA member whilst not being one *is* included. Just seems odd.
#1746838
PaulB wrote:I think we're talking at cross purposes.

I just can't see why Switzerland (eg) is excluded when it is not in the EU but is treated as an EASA member state (by virtue of *being* an EASA member state) yet the UK which is being treated as an EASA member whilst not being one *is* included. Just seems odd.


It’s the transition period. Nothing changes in practical terms until the 31st December 2020. The assumption being that new arrangements will be designed, implemented and agreed before then.

Squadrons of aviating pigs are already in preparation.
derekf, Flyin'Dutch' liked this