Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By ls8pilot
Just announced by the BGA here https://members.gliding.co.uk/2020/01/27/revised-easa-sailplane-pilot-licensing-rules/.

Looks like EASA are scrapping the LAPL(S) for Sailplanes and TMG's and replacing it by a "simpler" Sailplane Pilot Licence (which can include TMG). What is interesting is that they are expecting to have to move everyone to the new licence by April 2021, irrespective of the outcome of post-Brexit negotiations, as the CAA are planning to cut and paste from existing legislation.

While this is largely a paperwork task (which luckily the BGA supports very well), it does currently mean a lot of pilots on self declared medicals will need a LAPL or Class 2 medical in the next 14 months.

Does anyone know if any progress is being made with the CAA on accepting Self Declared medicals for (what were) EASA licences?

I had hoped we would go the route of an "NPPL(S)" for the vast majority of glider pilots who only fly in the UK, but this now looks unlikely.
By ls8pilot
As a follow-on .....

It appears the BGA is lobbying the CAA to accept Self Declaration. To that end they have recommended all pilots to fill in the Self Declaration form and tick the "NPPL" box (even though we don't have an NPPL(S)); this is in order to give the CAA some idea of the size of the issue.

However I am concerned that there may be an issue holding two medicals, so if I hold an LAPL medical, then doing a self declaration could invalidate or wipe out the record of the LAPL medical. Since there is currently no ability to fly on an LAPL(S) using a self declared medical (unlike the existing opt-out for LAPL(A)) this would be an issue.

The whole area seems bizarre, the CAA website refers you to CAP1441, but that document was withdrawn in 2018........
Making a self declaration (PMD in CAA Parlance) does not invalidate your other medicals, nor is having not having, never having had, having lost another class of medical from any authority a bar to holding a PMD. The only thing that one has to do to have a PMD is to read the rules on the PMD site of the CAA and make the pilot medical declaration if you meet the requirements<- Full Stop.

I just want to make that clear at the beginning of this thread as otherwise people will get worried, think out reasons why it could/would/should be different.

:D

You can take that as coming direct from the medical advisor to the BGA, as that is what this is.
Cns416 liked this
New post as this is an associated but separate subject the future requirements for flying a glider in the UK:

I am happy to ask Pete Stratten to either post something on here about the licence conversion or for me to link it direct to the BGA website as below as what the current situation is according to the BGA.

https://members.gliding.co.uk/pilot-lic ... onversion/
By ls8pilot
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Making a self declaration (PMD in CAA Parlance) does not invalidate your other medicals, nor is having not having, never having had, having lost another class of medical from any authority a bar to holding a PMD. The only thing that one has to do to have a PMD is to read the rules on the PMD site of the CAA and make the pilot medical declaration if you meet the requirements<- Full Stop.

I just want to make that clear at the beginning of this thread as otherwise people will get worried, think out reasons why it could/would/should be different.

:D

You can take that as coming direct from the medical advisor to the BGA, as that is what this is.

Thanks - good to know :thumleft:
By C1FF
I understand (but not confirmed) that if you have a PMD on the CAA IT system, an AME can not enter medical certificate renewal details. Apparently, the PDM has first to be deleted and then the medical certificate can be added.
I guess this is an anomoly with the software rather than the rules around having a PDM and medical certificate at the same time.
By Irv Lee
From memory, it was an issue at first with registering a new lapl medical, but it was a system thing not a legal thing and I heard it was ok now but the solution was a quick call from ame to a man with a software spanner.
By allout
C1FF wrote:I understand (but not confirmed) that if you have a PMD on the CAA IT system, an AME can not enter medical certificate renewal details. Apparently, the PDM has first to be deleted and then the medical certificate can be added.
I guess this is an anomoly with the software rather than the rules around having a PDM and medical certificate at the same time.

I am happy to confirm that this is wrong.
My Class 2 was recently renewed despite the existance of my PMD.
Irv Lee wrote:But I think the problem might have been pure lapl

Nope.

It affected all classed of Medicals that AMEs wanted to load onto the AME online system.

It was a pure IT Technical issue that had nothing to do with validities of the various medicals and medical self declaration (PMD)
Met up with Pete Stratten yesterday to discuss some BGA related stuff and asked him to clarify to me what is happening.

As it stands at the moment:

By April 2021 the licence required to fly an EASA registered glider will be an EASA Gliding licence and associated EASA medical.

Until now there have been 2 EASA Gliding Licences a) LAPL (S) and an SPL - the latter was for those who wanted to make money with their licence.

From April 2021 all new licenses will be the SPL - the the LAPL will be deemed to be an SPL and when you need something doing with your LAPL such as a change of address or adding a rating, it will be converted to an SPL..

The SPL can be validated with a LAPL Medical for recreational purposes and an SPL if the licence is to be used for commercial purposes.

From today until 8 April 2020 all gliding licences can in the UK, for flights in the UK, be validated with a PMD or any EASA FCL medical.

From 8 April the same will be the case if the exemption is renewed.

From April 2021 the BGA clubs will be DTOs and students will require a LAPL medical or higher to fly solo.
ls8pilot liked this