Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
EASA Instrument Rating Cross-Crediting

A recent question I received has highlighted that Appendix 8 to Part-FCL has now been amended to change the cross-crediting available to current airline pilots.

Cross-crediting is applicable to RENEWAL as well as REVALIDATION of the EASA Instrument Rating. So, an airline pilot who last held a IR-SP-ME when he gained his CPL some years ago can now get that IR-SP-ME renewed on the basis of his current type rating revalidation by just flying Sections 1 and 6 of the IR Proficiency Check or, if he only wants an SE IR, he only needs to have flown 3 approaches with an FI (or solo if he has an IR(R)) and get the paperwork signed by a CRE/IRE.

New text separates the requirements for aeroplanes and helicopters. For aeroplanes it now reads:

"A. Aeroplanes: Credits shall be granted only if holders are revalidating or renewing IR privileges for single-pilot single-engine and single-pilot multi-engine aeroplanes, as appropriate."

Note that there is now a requirement at the base of the table to have flown a RNP APCH as one of the approaches used to revalidate/renew the single-pilot SE IR.

Since an airline pilot holds a valid IR (albeit multi-pilot) then no ATO or sign off/CCC required. In the regulation there is no distinction made between IR-SP and IR-MP for this purpose.

Looks like I need to update my old LAA article:

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2010/Pilot%20Coaching%20Scheme/Articles/An%20Airline%20Pilot's%20Guide%20to%20the%20single-pilot%20Instrument%20Rating.pdf

Cookie
Sorry to resurrect an old thread @Cookie . I was just wondering if this article was ever updated? I am a current multi engine, multi pilot IR holder and looking to cross credit towards a single pilot, single engine IR. Or if not, do you know what the latest requirements are?

If I understand it correctly I don't have to complete a test. I only have to complete a couple of approaches etc in the type of aircraft required with an IRI? Is this your understanding of it?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Your understanding is correct. Appendix 8 Part FCL:

Provided that within the preceding 12 months the applicants have flown at least three IFR departures
and approaches exercising PBN privileges, including at least one RNP APCH approach on an SP class or
type of aeroplane in SP operations

You'll have to fly with an FI/IRI unless you hold an IMC/IR(R). Once you're done, find an IRE or CRE/IRR and get them to complete the paperwork for renewal of the IR.

I assume you completed your original training via the modular/integrated route rather than an MPL? I'm not sure if the MPL route would work because holders never have a single pilot IR to revalidate/renew.
By Cookie
Hi Paul,

I haven't updated the article but the information I have provided above is still correct when cross-crediting using Appendix 8 as applicable to both EASA Part-FCL and UK Part-FCL licences. Note that the table in CAA Standards Document 14(A) is out of date in this respect.

Cookie
Where is it stipulated that the 3x approaches have to be flown with an IRI? Will a suitably qualified (IRR Rated) safety pilot not suffice?

Also, can a TRE sign your licence as they have IRE privileges embedded in their rating? Finding a local IRE could be problematic.
You need to fly 3x IFR departures and approaches exercising PBN privileges, including 1x RNP approach. If your IR has expired, and you don't hold an IMC/IRR, the only way you can log IFR time to meet the cross credit requirement is by flying with an instructor.

Check with your NAA regarding a TRE signing the paperwork. I don't think the CAA allow it, they will only allow their TREs to sign the MPA IR associated with the type rating. Can't provide the reference for that hence my suggestion to contact them and ask.

An IRE or CRE/IRR can sign the paperwork if the latter is easier to find..

(Have we had a similar discussion over on the other side?)
Hi, yes we have. My IR is current, just that it's on a mutli-crew aircraft.

Also, I’ve just realised that I’ve never previously held a SE SP IR, I did my initial IR on a Cessna 310, so I was issued a ME SP IR, and then went to Multi-Crew IR.

I’ve got valid SEP Land on my licence now, can I still do the 3x approaches and get SE SP IR on my licence, off the back of my ME SP IR?
By Cookie
@Lardy330 , I don't know which document you are referencing (UK Part-FCL or EASA Part-FCL) but for this section they are both the same. Appendix 8 to Part-FCL was amended by EASA in 2019 to also allow RENEWAL of an IR-SPA with cross-crediting in aeroplanes; this was subsequently copied across into UK Part-FCL.

EASA Part-FCL
Latest Easy Access Rules version is August 2020 which contains the amendment from Regulation (EU) 2019/1747 :-
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/defaul ... -Aug20.pdf

UK Part-FCL
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalappli ... il&id=9939

Simple answer: yes.

Cookie
HI All,

Does anyone know what paperwork a TRE would need to fill out and sign to renew an IR single pilot using cross-credit? Is it just on the licence or is there an additional form? I Have an IR multi-pilot (B787) and hoping to renew by doing the 3 IFR departures and approaches with an instructor.

Many thanks is advance.