Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By nickwr55
Hello

I just completed the FI course without CPL exams so can teach LAPL.

I have 2 questions.

As a CRI you can do the LAPL - PPL conversion.

1) As an FI without CPL can you do LAPL to PPL conversion?

2) As an FI without CPL exams if I do night instructor rating can I teach PPL night?

Thanks in advance!

Nick
By Kemble Pitts
Firstly congratulations Nick.

As an FI without CPL you can teach up to LAPL (and NPPL).

As a CRI you can teach for Class Ratings (clue is in the name) and differences training and revalidation 1 hour flights post licence issue.

You cannot teach the 'LAPL to PPL gap'.
By Irv Lee
I know the answer to much of the question below is in a recent thread but I am simply not hitting the right search words, try as I might:
Active fi without tk passes cpl tk. Is it simple paperwork to lose the lapl-only shackle, or paperwork and little (reprint fee) - or paper plus lots of money? Or more complicated? Or automatic?
By Instructor Errant
Irv Lee wrote:I know the answer to much of the question below is in a recent thread but I am simply not hitting the right search words, try as I might:
Active fi without tk passes cpl tk. Is it simple paperwork to lose the lapl-only shackle, or paperwork and little (reprint fee) - or paper plus lots of money? Or more complicated? Or automatic?

CAA ORS5 dated 01 Apr 2019 Paragraph 3.8 wrote:An application to remove a restriction or any rating or qualification in a licence will be classed as a variation, and the applicant shall pay to the CAA the variation charge specified under the relevant rating or qualification type a) to f) inTable 6.

Row (g) Column 'Variation' applies = £93. i.e. paperwork and little (reprint fee)
Irv Lee liked this
By PaulB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:What does the restriction actually say on the licence if you have the FI but not the CPL exams?

That’s a good question and what changes on your licence when you exchange money and CPL TK pass certificates ( or whatever you get) for the ability to teach PPL?
By Instructor Errant
Depends on what other instructor privileges you may have but an example might be:

FCL.905.FI applies as in /(a)/(b)/(e)/(g)/(IR(R))/(h)/For LAPL(A) Only

and when the instructor demonstrates their CPL TK then

FCL.905.FI applies as in /(a)/(b)/(e)/(g)/(IR(R))/(h)/

This example has night, multi and instrument instruction privileges as well. Instrument instructions privileges could be limited to IR(R) only either because of the lack of demonstrable CPL TK and/or <200hrs instrument time.
By Bathman
I'm sure it's a revenue generation scheme. If someone doesn't have CPL TK then they can't teach for the PPL. If they go on and then pass the CPL TK then they can Why do they need to pay 93 quid?

Same with privileges to teach for the CPL. You have to have 500 hours instruction given then a recommendation from an ATO that teaches for the CPL. Once the CAA have this and you pay them 93 quid you can teach for the CPL.

What's the point? Revenue generation?
By Instructor Errant
Bathman wrote:What's the point? Revenue generation?

I assume there is some administration process that takes place.

I paid £348 a couple of years ago for an administrative exercise completed by a clerical CAA employee for my FE standardisation course but only £212 for the AoC with an experienced staff FE/inspector?

Same for my RTF and GR(A) certificates. It doesn’t make immediate sense.
By GrahamB
Of course it’s revenue generation, because the government requires that the CAA recover its costs plus a margin directly from its users.

If flight crew licensing actions became free, other charges would rise accordingly.
kanga liked this
By TLRippon
There have been some recent changes to the FI privileges lettering since November 11th 2019.

(e) is no longer night.
(f) is now night

The privileges are restricted along with the FI rating to LAPL.

The CRI rating makes no difference to the FI night privileges. I had my FI night added to my rating at the CAA with an appointment after 11th Nov and the privilege is clearly restricted to LAPL only. I also have a CRI.

I asked the CAA officer if I could teach PPL Night as they already hold a licence and was given a flat NO! You need to have the CPL TK to train PPL’s for night.
By Kemble Pitts
I wonder if that is actually correct.

A CRI can be qualified to teach for the aerobatic rating to a PPL holder, so why could he/she not be qualified to teach for the night rating to a PPL holder ?

Night, as with aerobatics, is just another 'additional rating' in Part-FCL.

Which regulation says that the CRI cannot teach a PPL holder for the night rating?

Is the problem that you had the night instruction privilege added to your LAPL-only FI only? Get it added to your CRI as well and the problem should (!!) be solved.

EDIT: Having just re-read FCL.905.CRI I think you are right. No mention of night instructional privileges for a CRI!
Last edited by Kemble Pitts on Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.