Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Newfy
My original Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s Licence (UK CAA under JAR) was issued ten years ago. At the time, the FRTOL was only valid for 10 years. Since September 2012, FTROLs were issued with lifetime validity. At the time, the licences were valid for ten years. My current Flight Crew Licence ( a PPL, which was reissued in 2017 to reflect my night rating, and had been reissued previously for address changes, etc.) has an entry under item XII of “Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s privileges: The holder of this licence has demonstrated competence to operate R/T equipment on board aircraft in English.” It has no date of expiration associated with this entry.

I do not recall requesting a re-issue of my FRTOL previously, but I also do not seem to have a separate Radiotelephony licence in my possession. Is it possible the CAA has already reissued my FRTOL as a lifetime one whilst updating my flight crew licence?

I have English language proficiency Level 6 listed on my licence.

Thanks for any help.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You no longer need a separate FRTOL with your PPL - it is built in (as evidenced by that line on your licence) and life time.
There are only a few edge cases where people need a separate FRTOL.
By Newfy
Thanks @riverrock . It appears that the CAA took the initiative to reissue my FRTOL on one of the occasions when it reissued my PPL after 2012 (or I asked and have forgotten, which is possible).