Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
IoM is not in the UK, but from an aviation perspective it is in the London FIR. I would have thought the later would trump the former for PMD validity, but that is just a guess.
By PaulB
Does IoM have its own ANO? If so then that might trump the U.K. ANO.

Edited to add, I don’t know either :-)
By Irv Lee
Have you checked the exemption? If it says it is ok if other authority agrees, Mr I. O. M. CAA-equivalent was all in favour last time we spoke but I suppose should ask again.
By Irv Lee
Irv Lee wrote:Have you checked the exemption? If it says it is ok if other authority agrees, Mr I. O. M. CAA-equivalent was all in favour last time we spoke but I suppose should ask again.

I forgot to ask... easa licence, easa aircraft???
Just checked. The exemption for easa licences in EASA aircraft (which you ought to have a copy to hand if you are using it) says the combination is valid amongst other things:
b) within the United Kingdom; or
c) with the permission of the relevant authority, within a Crown Dependency, but for an A to A flight only;
So the combination does not at first pass seem valid for mainland to IoM with easa stuff
By JAFO
Last time I asked I could fly in the IOM on a PMD but could not fly to or from the IOM on it. That's with an NPPL(SSEA). It didn't make much sense but it was not something I could be bothered arguing about.
By Irv Lee
In that case, easa licence, non EASA aircraft, I think that it will need a little scouring of the ANO wording around recognising fcl licences in non EASA aircraft plus any ors4 documents about the pmd.
By PaulB
Would that be our ANO or the Manx equivalent (or both)
By Irv Lee
Well unless the personnel have changed, I spoke to the IOM guy when the first PMD first came out, he was all for it and was sorry the announcement had had restrictions like A-A
By PaulB
Sorry to be *really* thick.....

The ANO allows holders of a UK licence to fly non-EASA G reg aircraft on a PMD.

The CAA has issued an ORS4 (1283??) that extends this to part.FCL licence holders in EASA aircraft with certain conditions.

One of the conditions is "Licence holders must only operate ... with the permission of the relevant authority, within a Crown Dependency, but for an A to A flight only;"

Given that the Crown Dependencies have their own rule making bodies and ANOs (or equivalent) how is the CAA able to restrict the flights in those areas? Is it because this is still in the UK FIRs (except that The CI aren't)?

If this was a UK licence and a non-EASA G-reg, would the A-A still apply (ie is it in the ANO?)
By santon
From the IoM CAA website under pilot licensing:

Flight Crew of Aircraft Registered Elsewhere than the Isle of Man

A person must not act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in a country other than the Isle of Man unless:

in the case of an aircraft flying for the purpose of commercial air transport or aerial work, that person is the holder of an appropriate licence granted or rendered valid under the law of the country in which the aircraft is registered or the State of the operator; or
in the case of an aircraft on a private flight, that person is the holder of an appropriate licence granted or rendered valid under the law of the country in which the aircraft is registered.

The Isle of Man Civil Aviation Administration considers the UK NPPL(A)/(H), UK Part FCL LAPL and EASA LAPL to be appropriate licences and has 'No Operational Objection' to flights being conducted to, from and within the Isle of Man by flight crew operating in accordance with the privileges and any other conditions of the license.

The Isle of Man Civil Aviation Administration has 'No Operational Objection' to and therefore permits flights of UK registered aircraft being conducted to, from and within the Isle of Man by holders of UK issued flight crew and pilot licences and who have made UK CAA Pilot Medical Declarations, subject to such flights being conducted in accordance with the privileges and any other conditions imposed by the UK CAA.

Looks like a PMD is valid for flights to the IoM !
B1engineer liked this