Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Until recently I was the holder of a LAPL(A) TMG and an NPPL SLMG. I recently posted forms off to the CAA to upgrade my LAPL(A) TMG to a PPL (A), along with a change of address form for my licences. The upgrade training/skills test carried out on SEP.

I was expecting to get back a PPL(A) with both SEP and TMG privileges, along with my NPPL SLMG, to my new address. Only 14 (!) days later, I received a package back, to the correct address, with two licences and my logbook in as expected. Unfortunately, on further inspection, my PPL only has SEP privileges recorded against it.

I now need to navigate the bureaucracy of the CAA to try to get this corrected, ideally at minimal cost to myself. Is there anyone who can confirm if I was correct in my expectation of having both privileges, and is there is anything specific I need to say or do to get this corrected other than just ring 'em up and ask?
If you upgrade a LAPL to a PPL with TMG and SEP you will only get the class rating for the class you did the PPL test in. This is because on a LAPL you have privileges as opposed to ratings. You would need do to a TMG class rating test to add the TMG class rating to the PPL as well.

The only possible route is if you could demonstrate you had a valid SLMG rating date on the NPPL and then you could argue for them to issue the TMG on the PPL aligned to that date.
webdevduck liked this
My LAPL(A) TMG was issued off the back of my NPPL (A) SLMG (pre April 2018 issue). Digging through Part P, the NPPL (A) SLMG to PPL (A) TMG conversion route requires 45 hours in TMG's, which I don't have (I went the BGA GPL conversion route), so on that basis I'm not sure they would accept the SLMG rating.

I can't find anything that says if a LAPL to PPL upgrade is completed on SEP, SMLG privileges wouldn't be retained (in the form of a rating), or vice versa, especially given the requirement to add the rating is training and a a skills test, which I've already done on a TMG - followed by more training and a skills test on an SEP! However, I also can't find anything that specifically says they would be retained, which I guess is the rub.

Looking at the conversion requirements in Part H it looks as though I couldn't just do a skills but would need to do the conversion training as well, although if I went back to the same motorglider training organisation I used for the NPPL, I'm sure they could cover it off fairly quickly.

Unless anyone has any other ideas, I might leave things as they are for now. It's fortunate that I've clung on to my NPPL "just in case"! It appears on the EASA side of things, presumably the TMG privilege has vanished for good (even if I downgraded back to a LAPL) unless I do the training and skills test as appropriate for the rating/privilege. However, I can still fly SLMG under the NPPL, and if I want to, use it as a basis to add a LAPL(S) + TMG to my collection, or to add a PPL(A) TMG rating when I have the requisite experience.
There is no mandated min requirement for any training or experience to do the TMG class rating skills test - if you have previous experience a nil training course completion certificate can be issued and you can just do the TMG class rating test to add the TMG rating to the PPL. Message me if you want as I'm a TMG examiner and work with Motorglide at Enstone and can do it no trouble for you if you need.
webdevduck liked this
rf3flyer wrote:
webdevduck wrote:Thanks for the advice :) I'll probably hold off adding the rating for now, but will keep it in mind!

Why would you hold off? With the b*gger's muddle that is licensing these days get what you can on paper for your future peace of mind. I'd bite Balliol's hand off.

I don't really need it. I can fly SLMG on my NPPL, and if I have a need for an EASA compliant licence then a LAPL(S) + TMG just requires some paperwork and a cheque to the CAA. The main reason for aligning the PPL would be for revalidation. So I will be giving it some consideration, but it can wait until after the soaring season . :wink: