Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By pilotamx
Hi,

I have recently moved all my logbook onto a software and excel. I've found some errors, particularly with number of landings and times. Actually errors are old, like at page 30, I counted 7 landings instead of 15 and this error has been moved over until today. Same happened for timings in the past.

What should I do? It is not matter of reclaiming few landings and hours which are actually than what I've in my logbook; the accuracy is bad. If I go back and make the connection, I need to correct all pages and this, whilst doable, seems not a _good_ approach. Is there any other option?

thanks
S
By Kemble Pitts
Maybe add a new line in your log book which applies the delta (correction). Put a comment in that explains where the data has come from so that you and anybody else can trace the details, should anybody really want to.

For example 6 hrs in the P1 column with a comment that they were missed on 10 Jan 2017 or something like it.

Total that page up and then the next page will be starting 'all square'.
T67M, pilotamx liked this
By pilotamx
Miscellaneous wrote:Depending on significance I would either leave it or amend the current page total whilst adding a note to that page.

Cool, I've considered this initially. I was not sure it was a correct and accept approach from EASA standpoint.
By pilotamx
Kemble Pitts wrote:Maybe add a new line in your log book which applies the delta (correction). Put a comment in that explains where the data has come from so that you and anybody else can trace the details, should anybody really want to.

Thanks. I am actually seeing more than one error. I guess amend totals at the end of current page and then start from the next one with _correct_ ones is works better.

Thanks
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
pilotamx wrote:
Kemble Pitts wrote:Maybe add a new line in your log book which applies the delta (correction). Put a comment in that explains where the data has come from so that you and anybody else can trace the details, should anybody really want to.

Thanks. I am actually seeing more than one error. I guess amend totals at the end of current page and then start from the next one with _correct_ ones is works better.

Thanks

Pretty much what I did when with 1000hrs or so I transferred to an electronic logbook - it found various arithmetic errors.

I put a line saying something like "Revised totals below due to recalculation in electronic logbook" and then inserted the new totals.

Various examiners have seen my logbook since, none have even asked about it. Since then, CAA only get a printout of the electronic logbook anyhow as half the point of it was to avoid ever having to consign my paper logbooks to the post again.

G
By seanxair
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:@seanxair I have a suggestion to resolve you poor arithmetic…fly more often! :wink:

Wish I could! I do a lot of 20-30 min local stuff so fairly current. Just hard to get away for longer with family stuff going on :(
By allout
We all make mistakes from time to time, pilotamx.
At my last (regional) airline, running totals of of aircraft time were entered in the tech log by pilots, flight by flight.
Lots of scope for errors, but a great deal hangs on those totals, so corrections were far from unknown.
wigglyamp liked this