Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By design4p
I am aware that I need to have a 1 hour review flight with an instructor within the second 12 months of my 24 month validation cycle.

However, my instructor says that the next 2 year cycle starts from the date of the review flight.

I thought the next 2 year cycle would start from the expiry date of the current cycle. This appears more logical, otherwise the 2 year cycle would always be less depending on the date the review flight is taken.

Any clarification would be most welcome.

John
Possible confusions:

Do you have a LAPL?

Do you have the experience otherwise and planning on revalidating? As opposed to doing a check with an Examiner?

I’m sure we can help!

Ps I’m betting Irv will be along shortly with his bucket that he uses to collect LAPL recency pounds
Last edited by Balliol on Sun May 26, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Although I can't think of a way the instructor would be correct for a training hour counting towards reval by experience on an Sep rating in a ppl, with these questions I have learned to ask "what licence, what rating or privilege, what are you trying to do?"
By Irv Lee
@Balliol I paused for a minute mid post to watch the Lauda tribute in Monaco.
Although it doesn't apply in this case, i would normally have in my list: "Yes but what was the EXACT question you asked the CAA, word for word?"
Out walking the dog.... lovely evening, now is my dog walking currency on rolling validity or do I need my date signing... am never sure...

John - you are subject to LAPL recency:

FCL.140.A LAPL(A) — Recency requirements

Holders of an LAPL (A) shall only exercise the privileges of their licence when they have completed, in the last 24 months, as pilots of aeroplanes or TMG:(1) at least 12 hours of flight time as PIC, including 12 take-offs and landings; and(2) refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with an instructor.

I think your instructor is trying to explain you are on a 24 month rolling validity and you must check your recency before each flight, hopefully the above makes sense now? All the best
By Irv Lee
Balliol wrote:Out walking the dog.... lovely evening, now is my dog walking currency on rolling validity or do I need my date signing... am never sure...

Well I wouldn't ask a dog walking instructor.

I think your instructor is trying to explain you are on a 24 month rolling validity

I'd be surprised or he/she isn't good at it.
John, did you get your LAPL from a LAPL course or obtained it from another licence? Your very first sentence in the first post suggests you are confused about legality which could lead to problems if you ever had an incident even if it wasn't your fault. Start with http://www.higherplane.co.uk/bfr-ground.pdf - the first item in the Medicals, Ratings, Licences sub section nearly halfway down. You don't have a 'revalidation cycle' as such.
This is from my FAQ page which I am refreshing and bringing up to date this week, so I won't put a link.
There's HUGE confusion about LAPLs by pilots who have them! I have even had 4 pilots on the same day approach me for LAPL rating revalidation signatures or concerned they didn't have a 'rating expiry date', which demonstrates they really don't understand what they have 'bought'. Unless you have some extra ratings, like Night, Aeros, etc, you will have quite a few blank pages where ratings and expiry dates would be expected. The LAPL does not work with aircraft ratings in the normal sense. If you look under privileges on page 4 of your licence, you will probably see SEP(land) listed, or maybe TMG, which shows you what sort of aircraft you can fly. However, SEP or TMG will NOT appear with an expiry date anywhere as a rating. There is no specific rating expiry date to work towards, instead YOU are responsible for sorting out your own validity before EVERY flight. Before a flight, you must convince YOURSELF that you have logged the 2 yearly requirements in the 24 months before each flight, on aircraft you are entitled to fly. The requirements are:
12 hours P1 in the 24 months before any flight including 12 take offs and landings AND
One hour's training with an EASA instructor in the 24 months before any flight
Note the 'AND' - which means unlike other schemes, you need 13 hours, of which 12 are p1, and one is pu/t. You check this yourself, you never need go to an examiner for a 'revalidation signature', there is nothing to sign. You are flying on the PRIVILEGES of a LAPL, not an aircraft class or type rating within it, so you have no rating to revalidate. Note 90 day rules still apply for taking passengers.
By JAFO
design4p wrote:I am aware that I need to have a 1 hour review flight with an instructor within the second 12 months of my 24 month validation cycle.

Do the rules say that it has to be in the second 12 months? Do they say a "review" flight?

Is the nature of the refresher training specified anywhere?

I hear a lot of talk of biennial flight reviews but, as far as I am aware, they're not necessarily that at all.
By Irv Lee
@JAFO what 2nd 12 months is that? If I had a lapl and i was asked did I do something in the 2nd 12 months, it would all be irrelevant when anything was done within the historic two years, but also I wouldn't know if you meant 0 to 12 months before my next flight or 13-24 months before my next flight. The term "2nd 12 months" is not something that has any relevance for a lapl holder which is apparently what the OP has.
ak7274 liked this
By JAFO
Irv, that was exactly my point. The OP said "in the second twelve months" and I couldn't work out where he was getting that from.

My other point was that in the UK (and in EASA land) we don't have biennial flight reviews, we have an hour's training with an instructor within a 2 year window - not the same thing at all.