Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Baldrick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Last month I received in my email “Sunny Swift Issue 11: Easier and safer flying in IFR”

I’ve read it several times and nowhere does it say:
When it will be implemented.
What the requirements are.
If the UK IR(R) will be credited.
Is it me or is it totally lacking in detail?
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I don't think Sunny would be so parochial, I thought it was more that she was criticising some regulator which had reduced the minimum visibility limits for hobby licences down to 1500m across Europe.
By bookworm
Baldrick wrote:Last month I received in my email “Sunny Swift Issue 11: Easier and safer flying in IFR”

I’ve read it several times and nowhere does it say:
When it will be implemented.
What the requirements are.
If the UK IR(R) will be credited.
Is it me or is it totally lacking in detail?

I don't think Sunny engages in that level of detail, though her minions who put together the Opinion on the BIR do.

My best guess is that the regulation underpinning the BIR will get into law by the end of 2019, though it may be sooner depending on how controversial it is when it goes to the "EASA Committee" (of Member States -- ironically EASA is just a spectator at the EASA Committee). The Opinion is much more conservative on timescale.

The rating is entirely competence-based, so crediting shouldn't really come into it on the flying side. I would hope some sort of "conversion report" could be arranged on the theoretical knowledge side.