Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Paul Stout
Hi

Looking at a share in a Eurostar EV97. currently have a Easa PPL,

Once Type rating completed on Microlight, can the hours in the Microlight count towards the 12 hours in the second year for the PPL?

Does changing to a LAPL have any benefits for Microlights

What is involved in changing to a PPLM?

Thanks Paul
By Irv Lee
If you have an SEP land rating, and the Eurostar is Sep version (prob not), familiarisation and yes, the hours count.
If is not the sep version, differences training and no hours count. (But it isn't a type rating)
LAPL no benefits.
You could get a ppl with Microlight rating or an nppl, but the bmaa insist on a Microlight test.
I guess it depends on what other flying you envisage over a few years.
By Paul Stout
Hi Irv
Thanks, its not an SEP version so hours wouldn't count, so could fly on PPL after difference training but would have to take test every 2 years on class A to maintain PPL as plan is just to fly the micro Light but wanted to keep the PPL current instead of changing to Micro Light Licence

Thanks Paul
By Irv Lee
Well don't be afraid of the reval by prof check for Sep, it is more like a club rental check with one or two small extras, plus a short simple nav leg. Also, you never know what may or may not count for hours in future.
By Bathman
How about applying for that ICAO valid for life licence called a UK PPL?

Microlight hours can count towards Revalidating the SEP rating on this licence and you can fly both SEP and Microlights with a medical declaration.

Please could someone tell me why have spent 18 years rewriting the wheel, spending a fortune?
Irv Lee, flybymike, Spooky liked this
By dall1234
Similar request, but slightly different -

I have NPPL M, NPPL SSEA, and an LAPL. At the moment, I fly a flexwing micro, PA28 & EV97 (SEP version). I didn't need the LAPL, but it just seemed sensible to do the paperwork upgrade at the time.

So given that I'm current on all the above, could I fly a 3-axis micro, say a Skyranger or even the EV97?
I know hat normally you would need signed differences training for flex>3 axis, but would the LAPL / SSEA count? (and the fact that the EV97 familiarisation training was actually in a micro version with BMAA instructor)
I expect the lack of a fuel pump will stop me !
By johnm
Bathman wrote:How about applying for that ICAO valid for life licence called a UK PPL?

Microlight hours can count towards Revalidating the SEP rating on this licence and you can fly both SEP and Microlights with a medical declaration.

Please could someone tell me why have spent 18 years rewriting the wheel, spending a fortune?

So that a pilot licenced in any of 28 countries can fly an aeroplane registered in any of 28 countries on his ATPL but the prat who was originally in charge of EASA decided the same rules could work just as well for a PPL and that there was no difference in maintenance requirement s between a PA 28 and an A320. His successors have been rowing back the nonsense and trying to add sense ever since.

However Microlights and Annexe 2 aircraft are treated differently in different states so that complicates matters.

If you are on an EASA aircraft with an EASA licence its a good bit better than it used it to be.
By Irv Lee
dall1234 wrote:Similar request, but slightly different -

I have NPPL M, NPPL SSEA, and an LAPL. At the moment, I fly a flexwing micro, PA28 & EV97 (SEP version). I didn't need the LAPL, but it just seemed sensible to do the paperwork upgrade at the time.

So given that I'm current on all the above, could I fly a 3-axis micro, say a Skyranger or even the EV97?
I know hat normally you would need signed differences training for flex>3 axis, but would the LAPL / SSEA count? (and the fact that the EV97 familiarisation training was actually in a micro version with BMAA instructor)

Well you can never fly a microlight on ssea. If your lapl is Sep privileged and is valid you would need differences training. If your Microlight rating is valid, why not ask the Instructor who flew with you in a Microlight ev97 to sign your differences training and you decide which to fly it on?
By flybymike
However Microlights and Annexe 2 aircraft are treated differently in different states so that complicates matters.

And annex 2 aircraft becoming annex 1 magnificently adds to the confusion.
By dall1234
Irv Lee wrote:
dall1234 wrote:Similar request, but slightly different -

Well you can never fly a microlight on ssea. If your lapl is Sep privileged and is valid you would need differences training. If your Microlight rating is valid, why not ask the Instructor who flew with you in a Microlight ev97 to sign your differences training and you decide which to fly it on?

Thanks Irv. I don't need to fly a 3-axis micro at the moment, so no problem right now, was just a though for the future. Yes the Micro rating is current (on flex), so yes the easiest way would be to get a differences signature as you say. Just one of those licensing quirks!