Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By agfoxx
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi all,

Can I please ask the hive mind for advice re logbooks?

I'm transitioning from microlights to SEP. My existing logbook is a Pooleys Microlight Logbook (as seen here, for example:
https://transair.co.uk/pilot-supplies/m ... ot-logbook)

I have been told that I cannot enter my SEP hours into it, because it's non-compliant with some obscure bit of the ANO, - and that I need a "proper grown-up logbook".

I've looked up the ANO, and I think that's a load of rubbish.

The way I read it, as long as I can log
1) Date of flight
2) Place from/to
3) Aircraft type and reg
4) Pilot capacity
5) Any other info
I can use whatever I like, - even a random office notepad.

But who knows. Aviation legislation is complex and impenetrable.

So - grateful for advice.
By Balliol
More importantly- how are you ‘transitioning’? There is some serious miselling going on out there at the moment vs closed conversion routes
By allout
Ever since 2001 my log books have been Excel spreadsheets - 8 years airline flying and now gliding, SEP, helicopter and microlight.
Not a dead tree to be seen, except where print outs have been requested and then accepted by the CAA.
(Having had the paper ones stolen from my car in 1998, I have views on the subject)
By agfoxx
Balliol wrote:More importantly- how are you ‘transitioning’? There is some serious miselling going on out there at the moment vs closed conversion routes

Yes, I'm fully aware I'm not going to get an automatic LAPL.... So going for am NPPL SEP instead.
By Lerk
allout wrote:Ever since 2001 my log books have been Excel spreadsheets - 8 years airline flying and now gliding, SEP, helicopter and microlight.
Not a dead tree to be seen, except where print outs have been requested and then accepted by the CAA.
(Having had the paper ones stolen from my car in 1998, I have views on the subject)

Are there no questions about the lack of audit trail? Ie change logs etc
By Balliol
An SSEA rating then not an SEP

If so Part FCL is not applicable and Article 228 of ANO specifies what you must record
By flybymike
Lerk wrote:
allout wrote:Ever since 2001 my log books have been Excel spreadsheets - 8 years airline flying and now gliding, SEP, helicopter and microlight.

Are there no questions about the lack of audit trail? Ie change logs etc

At least two interviews with a nice cop and a bad cop at the CAA (at one hundred quid a shot.)

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-indust ... mentation/
By cockney steve
^^^^^ abuse of monopoly power and legalised racketeering. disgraceful. (and it doesn't even affect me! )
By flybymike
Virtually all logbook entries are unquestionable self declarations by the pilot, which require no verification, even if indeed that were possible.
There seems therefore, no logical reason why verification other than by sworn affidavit is required in the event of loss of logbooks.