Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
MikeW wrote:Correct, 1157 and 1199.

Those are the correct forms from your end.
The Examiner said I would receive a reprinted licence recording the language proficiency.

If you want one and pay for a simple reprint - or for free change address - or for free renew a radio licence - or not for free ask the CAA to take action and sign your renewal instead of the examiner which you didn't do because the examiner did everything and caa action is not required.
Incidentally the chap I was speaking to was polite and patient and trying to help but he was adamant.

Of course, but he was adamant because he either does not know the process for renewal 100% or he did not "get" why you had not sent in a 1119c.
This is of course the same department that told me months ago that to renew my UK licence, it was compulsory to get an EASA one as well.

Oh no, they were doing this during 2017 and i thought it had been cured, don't tell me it has been continuing for 2 years. Worst case then: "I have a pre 2000 uk ppl, sep, medical declaration, i only want to fly Microlights in future, what do i do?". Caa answer: "you must get an easa medical and convert to FCL, then have differences training". Real answer is the final 2 words. The previous words hid a few hundred pounds and about 3 months of elapsed time. This needs stamping on.
@Irv Lee
@Balliol

I emailed CAA again insisting that what I had done was adequate and referencing bits in the ANO. Below is the reply from them. They make no mention of the rating renewal which I hope means that they have accepted it. They refer only to the language proficiency for which I submitted form SRG1199 2 months ago (but without a fee). It was accompanied by proof of identity certified by the Examiner, and at his instruction a copy of my lifetime FRTOL but not of my PPL licence.
Any further comments please or are they right this time? Does a certified copy of the licence mean certified by the examiner? Should it also have a copy of the rating renewal page?

I'm puzzled by the bit about my current SEP rating will appear on the licence - it already does or I couldn't have renewed it.

Thanks
Mike

Pilots are required to hold a valid Language proficiency on their licence in order to exercise the privileges of a Flight Radiotelephony Operators Licence (FRTOL).

In March 2008, all pilots were granted a level 4 Language Proficiency by the CAA, and new licences were despatched with a covering letter reflecting the new endorsement. This was a grandfather right and was valid for a period of 4 years until March 2012. During this period, it was the pilot’s responsibility to ensure that they were re-tested before the expiry date.

You will therefore be required to complete a Language Proficiency assessment with an authorised UK examiner or at a UK ATO approved to conduct language proficiency assessments. The examiner must then sign off the application form SRG1199 which can then be submitted into our department by email. Alternatively, the school may record the results on form CAA5012, but this must be accompanied by your application form, SRG1199. If you have already been tested as a level 6, please submit evidence of this into department.

Your licence will be need to be amended and re-printed reflecting your current Language Proficiency. Your current SEP rating will also be updated on our system and will appear on the licence. The following documents are required for us to endorse this:

1. Application form SRG1199

2. Current fee of £22.00

3. Certified copy of your current UK PPL showing your valid SEP.

For further information on the Language Proficiency requirement, please refer to our webpage for more information: https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-indust ... licensing/
Balliol wrote:They are after a photo copy of the licence certified by a head of training or examiner which shows your renewed SEP

@Balliol Sorry if I'm being thick but the actual licence is exactly as the CAA issued it in 2008 so they know exactly what it is and probably have a digital copy of it so why do they want a certified copy from me? if you mean they want the ratings page that's already signed and stamped by the examiner so what's the point of the same man signing and stamping to certify that yes he signed and stamped it already? I can just send a scan of the ratings page - that he signed and stamped (and scanned.)
It just defies logic!

Just as a sidepoint, going back to the email from CAA, I have no recollection of a covering letter with the 2008 re-issue explaining the language proficiency system and telling me to get a level 6 within 4 years. Was there such a document?
Irv Lee wrote:
MikeW wrote:
The Examiner said I would receive a reprinted licence recording the language proficiency.

If you want one and pay for a simple reprint - or for free change address - or for free renew a radio licence - or not for free ask the CAA to take action and sign your renewal instead of the examiner which you didn't do because the examiner did everything and caa action is not required.

@Irv Lee
Irv, are you indicating that I can ignore their demand for £22 for a compulsory reprint without horrible consequences (particularly as I am expecting to change address in the next year or so)?
@Balliol Sorry if I'm being thick but the actual licence is exactly as the CAA issued it in 2008 so they know exactly what it is and probably have a digital copy of it so why do they want a certified copy from me?

I called in at the CAA tent at Sywell last September to sort out a new FAA licence. (Failed dismally)
The CAA wanted photocopies of both my CAA and EASA licence, both issued by themselves and presented by me in person to their staff at the time. I had to go find a photocopier, and then fetch them back to the tent again so that they could certify them themselves.
MikeW wrote:
Irv Lee wrote:
MikeW wrote:

@Irv Lee
Irv, are you indicating that I can ignore their demand for £22 for a compulsory reprint without horrible consequences (particularly as I am expecting to change address in the next year or so)?

Well, couple of things, I am pointing out that it may be possible to get a free one if combined with something else, and certainly there will be pilots flying around with 6 in the database and not on the licence because secondly until some date since 2012, they were happy enough with just updating their database so they knew you had it... I somehow doubt that still applies, in these days of suddenly requiring colour copies for photo id!