Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
@Bigbangman have you moved address since 1990 and not informed the CAA? Licence pages in what was then the new format were reissued in the noughties at least once, to addresses on file, but I think lots will have bounced back to sender.
@Paul_Sengupta Had your (10 year) RT licence expired in 2008 or would you plead the 5th on that? If the former, I can see why you didn't get the 4 language proficiency reprint then, if the latter, ditto. ;-)
That explains it. Reprints were sent out in 2008 for current r/t licence holders, so lifetime or 10-year-not-expired, got a reprint. I got a reprint without asking in 2004 and can't remember what that reprint scheme was for, I never asked for it.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:This prompted them to send me a new (blue, EASA style) UK licence.
As a recent recipient of this CAA UK - PPL to complement my (now) French EASA PPL - Im hoping Im covered UK & Europe now, whatever B****t happens. I was wondering how they work...ie keeping it valid.

I know the CAA PPL wont expire, but what about ratings? Are they 2 year revalidations like the EASA PPL? Will the hours I do in EASA aeroplanes count?

And dare I ask about Medicals? Can I just declare Im fit?
Or will the EASA Class 2 medical be OK (at least until March 29th/April12th/June/???)

Regards, SD..

PS: Im sure this is probably on the CAA website somewhere, but the last time I tried looking for something... well, I kinda lost the will to live after a while...

Regards, SD..
Not only do non EASA sep aircraft "count" but the CAA Sep reval can even count 3 axis Microlight hours with difference training of course. ,However any UK issued sep whatever licence has to use a UK examiner or 945 instructor for the actual final signature if "by experience", cannot understand why for EASA ppls. It is the one thing they could verify afterwards, whereas what actually happens in a prof check is behind a veil.
What is the French Sep reval process now? Can non french sign by experience revals?
Irv Lee wrote:What is the French Sep reval process now? Can non french sign by experience revals?

Thanks for the info Irv. The CAA UK-PPL is a "just in case" thing for me - Im generally flying French registered aeroplanes. I think I will make an effort to get it re-validated this first time, but thereafter as it doesnt expire just see how things pan out...

WRT your question: It is still possible to take your licence to the local DSAC office with 12hrs & an instructor signed hour to re-validate. It is now also possible to have an FE (a list is provided on the DGAC website) sign off in the same way as in the UK. When I get back home, I will ask what the rules are for Non-French FEs signing off.

Regards, SD..
Irv Lee liked this
Cookie wrote:
Therefore, the answer to your question is YES: for renewal of your SEP class rating in your UK PPL, it's just training as required with a suitably qualified instructor plus a SEP Proficiency Check with an examiner. Providing the class rating is in Section XII of your licence, the examiner can then sign your Certificate of Revalidation and complete the paperwork to send in to the CAA.

Balliol wrote:Yes I’ll happily test on that basis. Examiner does flight, signs rating, job done.

With apologies for the length of this post, I would appreciate suggestions - particularly from @Balliol and @Cookie or @Irv Lee - for next move in view of CAA reaction.

Thank you!

Based on Cookie's and Balliol's advice and studying the ANO I went ahead with refresher instruction and a prof check (both freelance). The Examiner completed the ratings validity page that comes with the licence :thumright: and gave me the Examiner's Report which seems to double as the certificate of revalidation (ANO P208 sec 3). He also gave me a proof of identity and an application for record of English language assessment and said email these to FCL, which I did (not the ratings page).
After 7 weeks with no response I phoned CAA to be told that I needed to submit SRG1119C and SRG1107 (and of course a fee) to apply for renewal. This takes us back to square one. The guy I was talking to was adamant that these are needed even for a renewal of SEP in a UK national PPL and said until I submit them, nothing will happen to the documents I've sent, they will lie dormant.
At the foot of the Examiner's Report it says it should be copied to the applicant's and examiner's competent authority. Well that's been done, if they choose to ignore it, it's up to them - but could it boomerang on me some time in the future? I don't see how as I have a copy and proof it was submitted - and I have the signed rating validity page. (I am currently flying on the basis that that is sufficient.)
However they are also sitting on the language proficiency because they are together, and I suppose I should sort that as my licence currently depends on the level 4 everyone was given in 2008 or thereabouts. (Does it actually matter for a UK licence?)
My thinking is that I could resubmit the language application and proof of identity without the prof check report to get it done. Anyone know if that incurs a fee please? (£22 I think.)
Separately I could resubmit the prof check report (if wise to do so) with a covering note saying "as required I am copying you the report for my rating renewal which has been signed off", not using any words that suggest it is an application for renewal, it is a record of what's been done.
It's a jungle isn't it!
@MikeW
What has I think has happened here is that either you used the wrong word(s)(easy!) Or the caa chap misunderstood you using the right words by making assumptions about why you were phoning up.
He asks for a 1119c. To quote "his" web page for the 1119c
NOTE: The purpose of this Form is to request renewal of a rating by the CAA in any circumstance where the revalidation page of the licence cannot be signed by an examiner 

That is not the case is it?
So either you have given him the idea that you want the caa to do what the examiner has already done or he has misunderstood, but that IS what he thinks.
You don’t need anything from CAA or need to pay them anything

Examiner has renewed your rating on licence - copying them Examiner paperwork is just for their records

Examiner has signed you up Level 6 English by sounds of it - again copying them paperwork is so they can record that

1119C and 1107 forms are irrelevant to your case
@MikeW
What were you expecting back? I think you sent an 1157 test form and 1199 language form. I wouldn't expect anything back. They got the 1157, this will have said your rating had been renewed and signed up by the examiner, nothing comes back. They got the 1199, that is to register your English level, but they don't usually send anything back (unless you pay them to reprint).
You didn't mention a radio licence. Some had 10 year RT licences, so had lifetime RT licences. Presumably you have a lifetime one? Don't panic if yours expired, it is zero cost to renew, and no tests/exams seeing you already did the English level thing - just more paperwork to request the RT renewal!
Balliol liked this
Irv Lee wrote:@MikeW
What were you expecting back? I think you sent an 1157 test form and 1199 language form. I wouldn't expect anything back. They got the 1157, this will have said your rating had been renewed and signed up by the examiner, nothing comes back. They got the 1199, that is to register your English level, but they don't usually send anything back (unless you pay them to reprint).
You didn't mention a radio licence. Some had 10 year RT licences, so had lifetime RT licences. Presumably you have a lifetime one? Don't panic if yours expired, it is zero cost to renew, and no tests/exams seeing you already did the English level thing - just more paperwork to request the RT renewal!

Correct, 1157 and 1199.
The Examiner said I would receive a reprinted licence recording the language proficiency.
I assumed I would also get something on the lines of "Thank you for your 1157 which has been noted."
Both wrong from what you say.
My RT licence is lifetime (and hasn't expired yet :D ) but Examiner wasn't sure if that might be reissued for the language proficiency.

Thank you and @Balliol very much. I will go back to CAA and clarify.

Incidentally the chap I was speaking to was polite and patient and trying to help but he was adamant. I did say I believed those forms were not required for my national (small n) PPL but he insisted they were required regardless of the type of licence. He didn't ask if the Examiner had signed a validation page. I really think he didn't know the rules adequately (while admitting your point that I may not have said quite the right words.)
He said there was nothing in my personal file since 2004. The 1157 and 1199 had not been noted in it, he had to search for my submission in an outstanding problem pile (metaphorically).
He said it was difficult enough for him to keep up with the rules and he felt sorry for pilots trying to understand the system!
This is of course the same department that told me months ago that to renew my UK licence, it was compulsory to get an EASA one as well.