Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi all.

Is anyone able to advise on my situation?

I have a UK issued EASA ATPL. I fly for an airline based in Europe. With all the Brexit uncertainty my employer has requested that those of us with UK licences transfer to another EASA state (Irish in my case). This I am doing and expect to have an Irish issued EASA ATPL in the near future.
I also fly my G reg PA28 on the basis of my FAA PPL. The CAA granted me an exemption saying I can fly G reg, day VFR only, on my FAA ticket.

My question is, where does this leave me with regard to my PA28 when I lose my UK licence?
Is the exemption granted by CAA only valid whilst I hold a UK licence or can I continue to fly G reg on my FAA PPL whilst holding a non uk EASA ticket ?

I appreciate there may not be an answer to this right now but keen to hear people’s thoughts (and no, I haven’t yet asked the CAA directly.....they are absolutely swamped with licence transfers at the mo).

What's the leaving package like? ;-)
Ok, doesn't help.... what about...
pray for hard brexit and no EASA for UK, you might be able to just go back to flying on the FAA PPL
Ok, doesn't help....
What does your exemption actually say? Presumably it quotes your EASA licence number (or does it....)
That MAY be an option after Brexit. My understanding is that you can’t hold 2 EASA licences....so until the UK leave EASA I can’t have an Irish & Uk ticket.

I’ll have to check exactly what the exemption says. It was only an email from CAA that I printed off. Not very official looking.
I agree with Balliol.
Currently, all Part-FCL (EASA) licences issued by EASA Member States are valid for EASA aircraft types. The PA28 is an EASA type. You should be able to get an SEP on your Part-FCL ATPL quite easily and it's job done.

Your real concern should be that if the UK crashes out of the EU at the end of March your UK-issued Part-FCL ATPL will become a UK national ATPL valid for UK-registered aircraft only. It then won't be valid for your European employer's aircraft and you will probably lose your job. To get an EASA licence back again from a UK national licence you will have to take all of your ATPL exams again with another Member State. I suggest you forget the PA28 for now - get your ATPL moved to another EASA State and safeguard your income.

The CAA says that it will keep all EASA licences (from all EASA States) valid for G reg aircraft for at least 2 years after Brexit so if you got an SEP on your new Irish ATPL you would have plenty of time to get a UK licence.
The CAA website says that post Brexit (if that means we leave EASA) you could apply for a new UK-FCL ATPL (and so obviously UK-FCL PPL(A)) by conversion of your EASA ATPL(A) issued by any EASA Member State. You could then have an Irish Part-FCL ATPL and a UK PPL(A). See the CAA EU Exit microsite. There are also comprehensive articles on the Flight Training News website.