Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By allout
I am not a medical expert.
From my comparison of 2019/27 with 1178/2011, principle change seems to be one we have been anticipating:
      replace licence validity depends on level of medical
      with: privileges depend on level of medical
(removes the penalty suffered by those moving down from Class 2 to LAPL medicals)
otherwise, just editorial changes to the text.

Flyin'Dutch', have I got this right?
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
allout wrote:I am not a medical expert.
From my comparison of 2019/27 with 1178/2011, principle change seems to be one we have been anticipating:
      replace licence validity depends on level of medical
      with: privileges depend on level of medical
(removes the penalty suffered by those moving down from Class 2 to LAPL medicals)
otherwise, just editorial changes to the text.

Flyin'Dutch', have I got this right?

I am afraid not.

You refer to the impending change which will allow PPL holders to fly, to LAPL privileges, with their PPL and a LAPL medical and not have to change the PPL to a LAPL?
By Irv Lee
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:You refer to the impending change which will allow PPL holders to fly, to LAPL privileges, with their PPL and a LAPL medical and not have to change the PPL to a LAPL?

I think @allout meant that, anyone got any news at all about it? There seems to be a hell of a fatberg blocking the EASA sewer
By johnm
Irv Lee wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:You refer to the impending change which will allow PPL holders to fly, to LAPL privileges, with their PPL and a LAPL medical and not have to change the PPL to a LAPL?

I think @allout meant that, anyone got any news at all about it? There seems to be a hell of a fatberg blocking the EASA sewer

It's resources at the Commission, we seem to have visited a bit of unforeseen work on them over the last couple of years..........
If I were you I wouldn't go giving money to the CAA to get a LAPL at the moment until Brexit or further clarity re the LAPL licence post Brexit is sorted.
Post Brexit a LAPL could be UK only and that means you may as well just have an NPPL or a pre JAR UK CAA PPL.
Except that a pre-JAR UK PPL is an ICAO compliant licence and can be (via various local mechanisms) be used to convert to or support other ICAO compliant PPLs (e.g. FAA).

LAPL is not ICAO compliant and so has rather more localised privileges.
T67M liked this