Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi all,

I'm about to start training for my PPL later this month but I've ran into a bit of a stumbling block before I've even started.

I was looking at the Class 2 Medical requirements and everything looks fine, but I went to my optician to check everything was to standard (I wear glasses/contacts) and he found a potential issue with regards to visual acuity and monocular vision.

My left eye: 6/5
Right eye: 6/60

Binocular: 6/5

Now looking at the CAA standards, my left eye meets the requirements but the right one doesn't. We also done a field of vision test (dot test) and he says my FOV isn't affected by the right eye being lazy.

I've emailed an AME to see if this is a deal breaker but so far no response.

Should I be as concerned about this as I am? I've been saving for years to do my PPL and now it seems like it might not happen if this is an issue.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Are you sure you need a full PPL? A LAPL and lesser LAPL medical would be fine for "EU-plus "countries as a 'normal' hobby licence, although if we leave EASA with a hard Brexit, it would be UK and Ch.Is only.
I have a class 2 with monocular vision.
As long as your good eye acuity and visual fields are OK you undergo the medical but the certificate is suspended until a CFI confirms to the AME (there's a special form) that you are competent to undertake all phases of flight.
You then get a Class 2 - only restriction is goggles in open cockpit aircraft.