Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Bathman
I have spoken to the CAA (remember I'm a pleb with no knowledge or power) about them issuing a UK PPL.

Although they are legally able to issue an initial UK PPL it is against their policy to do so.
By TemperatureInversion
I'd like to try for a SSEA but the biggest issue/concern for me would be the continued allowance to fly the likes of PA28s / C172s.

If that goes then for me the use of SSEA would likely go as well. (I don't have much likelihood of owning/shared owning a aircraft anytime soon and so am limited to renting from the likes of flying clubs/schools).

I could always try for a EASA PPL - though it just seems like a waste (from a money and time point of view) if already qualified/under-going training in some capacity to do everything from scratch.

On the other hand - I'd hope it'd be possible to at-least manage sub 50 hours to a full PPL as you should be able to take some of that existing knowledge and apply it to heavier aircraft!
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
EchoGolf wrote:Then having got your PPL(A), if you want to then fly microlights you just have to pass the microlight GST and Ground Oral exam

Ah, you are FCLWEB and I claim £5!
If you want to fly microlights and have a ppl-sep rating.... cheaper to simply have differences training.
JAFO, flybymike liked this
By dall1234
EchoGolf wrote:
dall1234 wrote:Having done exactly the route you describe, NPPL (M) --> NPPL (SSEA) --> LAPL, I really would recommend continuing to get your (M), then get the SSEA, then decide future actions.

There is absolutely no reason to start flying training on microlights even if you ultimately want to fly microlights as things stand.

32 hours into an NPPL(M) (strictly speaking a NPPL(A) Microlight) I have realised I have been sold a pup, was misinformed by the Microlight instructor I have mostly trained with, who assured me in June 2019 that there was a progression path at the beginning to an international license. There isn't and there hasn't been unless you achieved your NPPL(SSEA) before 7 April 2018 and so can convert it to a LAPL(A).

Yes I did complete the NPPL --> LAPL route before the cutoff. It certainly seems that you may have been mis-informed, but remember that there are good & not-so-good instructors in both micros & GA.
Yes, if you aspire to 4 seats & instruments then probably best to go for PPL from the start, but for those happy with microlights (as you know some very capable machines), then the min 25 hour NPPL course appeals over a min 45 hour one.
There may also be other reasons, eg you might be unable to get an EASA medical, (still need easa medical to start EASA PPL training?). After 32 hours, I assume you're well into the course, so why not complete and get the licence, I think they are still non-expiring.