Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Kittyhawk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have EASA LAPL, UK NPPL, UK CAA PPL issued 1997 with expired SEP. I have LAPL medical for which I had a cardiology assessment. If I revalidated my SEP on the ICAO compliant UK PPL and then got an FAA Special Issuance Class 3 medical (Which my AME says is distinctly possible), can I use those to get an FAA 61.75 PPL?
By Flyin'Dutch'
You can validate a US License issued in accordance with FAR 61.75 with either a medical which validates your underlying ICAO Licence which you used to get the 61.75 issued or an FAA Medical Class 3 or higher.

Your issue will be that the FAA needs a Licence validation by the UK CAA of your ICAO compliant licence and I don't know whether they do that for an 'old style' UK CAA PPL.

When EASA came into force in September 2012 their stance was that you had to get your UK PPL changed into an EASA one which could then be used to get the 61.75.

Hope that helps
By Paul_Sengupta
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Your issue will be that the FAA needs a Licence validation by the UK CAA of your ICAO compliant licence and I don't know whether they do that for an 'old style' UK CAA PPL.

They do, but there may be a fly in the ointment. When the FAA ask the CAA if your licence is valid as part of an overseas validation, they may only say yes with a Class 2 medical or higher. Note that I don't know about this one way or the other, I'm just speculating. I would say speak to the CAA but they either probably don't know or would tell you the worst, regardless of whether it can be done.

Your CAA PPL would be valid in this country with a medical declaration, allowing you to revalidate your SEP (I think! I think it started out where you couldn't revalidate your SEP with a medical declaration but I think that's changed now?), but as to what the CAA would say when asked by the FAA is an unknown, unless anyone knows different?
By flybymike
All I know is that they took 45 quid off me at the Sywell rally at the beginning of September in order to revalidate my 61.75 licence, and since then I’ve heard nothing, no new licence, no nowt and not even the courtesy of a reply to umpteen emails sent to three separate individuals supposedly dealing with it. :twisted: