Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GrahamB wrote:It’s even more ridiculous than that, Paul.

In the UK you could even perfectly legitimately log any flight time below 3000’ and in sight of the surface as IFR, providing you hold an instrument qualification, as no IFR plan has to be filed.

I have pilots apply for jobs having used that criteria. It stands out like a sore thumb with their IFR v Total hours.

They end up in the bin these days.

Sadly some instructors are known to encourage logging flights like this (I know this for a fact, having had a long and sometimes heated discussion about it).
PaulSS liked this
By BehyBill
GrahamB wrote:Do you mean IR, or IR(R)/IMCR?

Sorry, I meant fly IFR without a full IR

The wording of the CAA note regading the future of imc rating: it does allow an exception to fly IFR without an IR, so I guess the svope are those with IMC or IRR ratings not vanilla ppl guy

But I agree, Part FCL is clear no IFR unless you have a full IR (plus UK has own national provision)
By PaulSS
I cannot think of any reason to log IFR time. IMC, most certainly, be it actual or simulated. Can anyone suggest why EASA might have adjusted the 'rules' to require IFR logging?

(I'm just interested. I still won't be doing it)
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PaulSS wrote:I cannot think of any reason to log IFR time. IMC, most certainly, be it actual or simulated. Can anyone suggest why EASA might have adjusted the 'rules' to require IFR logging?
(I'm just interested. I still won't be doing it)

One of the qualifying criteria for the IRI is 800 hours experience under IFR. In the pre EASA days, it was permitted to apply a 4:1 factor on actual flight with sole reference to instruments, i.e. 200 hours of the latter could be counted as 800 of the former. That disappeared with EASA, hence it now being important to those seeing a career in commercial instructing.

It’s silly enough, but particularly so in the UK where you can finagle just about any flight to be ‘IFR’ if you want to.
PaulSS liked this
By BehyBill
Make sense, thanks Graham

800h in IMC is a lot good luck with that even for those with 20000h TT (probably in the UK but in Spain you need to work hard :D )

The only ones I can think of those clocking such number while doing professional flying are those flying wp-3d orion but they still need a 10 years of good hurricane seasons :lol:
By PaulSS
I know some people who put silly amounts of IMC in their logbooks, for airline flying, because they reckon apart from take-off and landing they are referring solely to instruments and, therefore, entitled to do so. They disagree with my suggestion that when not in cloud they CAN look out of the window and COULD fly without referring to instruments, so I don't think it does count.

I only log IMC when I'm in cloud and it does rather mean an estimated total of all the 5 minutes here, 15 minutes there in a normal flight but I reckon, on average, it evens out. It's nice when I can use factors of 30 minutes because then it makes the adding up easier :D

I haven't reached 20 000 hours yet but still have 90 simulated and 3540 actual, so it's not that difficult to get 800 in under 20 000 :wink:
BehyBill liked this