Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By jaycee58
Last week I carried out an SEP revalidation as a CRI. I signed the pilots logbook but as he didn't have sufficient hours I was unable to sign his licence.

Today I've had my medical withdrawn so can no longer instruct. Can I still sign his licence when he has sufficient hours?
By jaycee58
oldbiggincfi wrote:
jaycee58 wrote:
Today I've had my medical withdrawn so can no longer instruct.

Sorry to hear that - lets hope it's temporary.

Thank you. I hope it is too but I'm not sure. I may start a thread regarding the problem later.

Thank you, Balliol, as well.
By nickwilcock
Also, remember that an Instructor with FCL.945 privileges may sign the Certificate of Revalidation after completing the refresher training only if all other FCL.740.A(b)(1)(ii) requirements have already been met by the licence holder.
By Talkdownman
nickwilcock wrote:completing the refresher training only if all other FCL.740.A(b)(1)(ii) requirements have already been met by the licence holder.

Please, where does it say that the refresher training may not take place until the required flight time is completed?
T67M liked this
By kanga
Talkdownman wrote:
nickwilcock wrote:completing the refresher training only if all other FCL.740.A(b)(1)(ii) requirements have already been met by the licence holder.

Please, where does it say that the refresher training may not take place until the required flight time is completed?

I read that as implying that the revalidation signature, not the training itself, must await the completion of all requirements. Happy to be corrected
By jaycee58
Which is where we started! I can no longer sign the licence so the pilot will have to now find an examiner to complete the revalidation as I believe Balliol's reply is correct (thank you, by the way).

The training flight can be undertaken at any time during the last year of rating validity.
By nickwilcock
Yes, the refresher flying must be completed during the second year of Rating validity. There is no restriction on the number of flight or instructors conducting this refresher flying for any one pilot, provided that the total of 1 hr has been gained. The old CAA rule of 'no more than 3 flights and all with the same Instructor' was deleted a while ago now.

FCL.945 Obligations for Instructors states:
Upon completion of the training flight for the revalidation of an SEP or TMG class rating in accordance with FCL.740.A (b)(1) and only in the event of fulfilment of all the other revalidation criteria required by FCL.740.A (b)(1) the instructor shall endorse the applicant's licence with the new expiry date of the rating or certificate, if specifically authorised for that purpose by the competent authority responsible for the applicant's licence.

The idea behind this was to make it easier for a pilot, who had already gained the flying experience necessary for revalidation, to obtain the revalidation signature immediately after completing refresher flying, so that he/she wouldn't then need to find an Examiner - the FCL.945 Instructor signs the Certificate of Revalidation.

However, if the pilot hasn't completed the experience requirements before the refresher flying, then he/she will subsequently need to ask an Examiner to sign the Certificate of Revalidation once all requirements have been met. An FCL.945 Instructor may not do so in such circumstances.
By Irv Lee
nickwilcock wrote:However, if the pilot hasn't completed the experience requirements before the refresher flying, then he/she will subsequently need to ask an Examiner to sign the Certificate of Revalidation once all requirements have been met. An FCL.945 Instructor may not do so in such circumstances.

Haven't seen the CAA advice in the training com withdrawn:
1. Instructor ‘X’ completes the one hour flight with a pilot who meets all of the other requirements of FCL.740.A for revalidation of a SEP or TMG class rating. Instructor ‘X’ then signs of the pilot’s licence and the CAA application/report form. 

This is fine. Instructor ‘X’ completed the training flight and can complete the administration as long as the other requirements have been fulfilled. 
If the other requirements had not been fulfilled prior to the training flight the pilot can return to instructor ‘X’ to complete the administration when all the requirements are met.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Winter%20201516%20Trainingcom.pdf
By jaycee58
I was about to post the same thing as this is what I have on paperwork given to me during a CRI seminar at Wellesbourne in 2016. I was beginning to worry that I'd been signing licences when i wasn't allowed to!
By nickwilcock
'TrainingCom' does not override the 'hard law' of Part-FCL, which is whence my quote came.

I was at EASA when this first came up and the discussion was quite clear - FCL.945 instructors may only sign after completion of refresher training if all other requirements have previously been met. Otherwise an Examiner is required.