Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By cmoreflyer
I am low hours recently qualified Nppl microlight pilot and i would like to upgrade my licence in the near future to fly larger aeroplanes such as cessnas /pipers/ rvs etc and i have been looking at the ssea rating to lapl and ppl options .

Im very confused as to what is the best route to take as i can see pros and cons for each.

I believe that the Nppl/ssea limits me to uk airspace and living close to a eu/uk border (N.Ireland/S.Ireland) i may have to jump through hoops to fly outside uk airspace.
Also i am getting conflicting information regarding the ssea to lapl to easa licence route some say this is closed and others its opening again in the near future.

I believe i can transfer 10% to a maximum of 10 hours over to the ppl training, As i only have 35 hours pic on the microlight (c42) and i will continue to fly the c42 to build up the hours during my training will i be able to transfer these hours at a later date after ppl traing has started or is it a one time only deal?

Some help would be greatly appreciated
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The easy (paperwork+fee) ssea to lapl(a) route is closed for ssea issued from 8/4/2018 so if they are saying that, they are correct, and and yes many are hoping for sensible new rules in a timely manner, but that counts for nothing. The only definite relief is the exemption for flying easa aircraft in uk airspace til 7/4/2019 which would limit you more than many others.
Thanks Irv lee and Paul for that information, i had been told that the nppl m was allowed into Irish airspace with the appropriate class 2 medical but the ssea wasnt.

I will have to just hold fire and wait and see what happens with regards the new rules and regulations and keep building my hours in the microlight.
I wonder is someone can answer my question regarding the crediting of hours.....

I believe i can transfer 10% to a maximum of 10 hours over to the ppl training, As i only have 35 hours pic on the microlight (c42) and i will continue to fly the c42 to build up the hours during my training will i be able to transfer these hours at a later date after ppl traing has started or is it a one time only deal?
ie should i wait until i have the 100hrs in microlight before commencing ppl training to achieve maximum credit?
(i have access to my fathers c42 so cost wont be a factor)