Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Can anyone point me at a concise cross reference of licences?

For example, I believe SEP hours count for microlights, however microlight hours don't count for SEP?

Where do I find what training is required to go either way from one to the other?

Is my belief that an instructor has to be specifically qualified to instruct for NPPL (M) correct?

etc..

TIA
Thanks John, I'm slowly getting through the various web pages on licences, however it's a laborious task trying to cross reference and establish the overlaps. I hoped there may have been a sort of ready reckoner.

PS I found myself thinking that link was going to take me to a page on Brexit. :lol: Think I need to get out more.

PPS had it gone to a page on Brexit I would have p'd myself laughing. :D
Sep does not count to microlite ratings,, ssea could on same basis of microlite to ssea (see below) 3 axis microlite can count to sep in CAA non Easa ppl licences or up to 11 twelvths of ssea if mlite and ssea ratings not only held and valid but revalidated together.... all in appendices 1 and 2 of my checklist. (http://www.higherplane.co.uk/checklist.html)
All those spouses, partners and friends dreading Christmas present stocking filler choice again yet so easy.... you can't give Dave's free sheet as a present... -)
Miscellaneous liked this
Many thanks all, I'll get the kettle on again and have a read. :thumleft:

Balliol wrote:..do you have a specific situation you are trying to address/consider?

I have. I am trying to put a new syndicate together with a mix of people with a variety of experience across SEPs and 3 axis microlight aircraft. Trying to please as many as possible. :thumleft:
Balliol wrote:...SEP rating holders can fly 3 axis with differences training, but NPPL SSEA can’t (need additional NPPL microlight rating).

Some of the prospective syndicate started training in a microlight (Ikarus 42) and did not finish their training. This is probably a long shot, however, given they cannot carry their existing microlight training across is there any way to do the remaining hours in a Condor, Jodel, or similar and count that towards their microlight licence?

I fear the answer is they would have to start again, no harm in asking though. :D

TIA
You can count microlight training towards an nppl ssea course subject to certain conditions if hours of training were in the past 6 months. It doesn't say specifically whether that is 6 months before training for ssea starts or ends or application date. LAA might be able to clarify if it matters in this case. Seems very tight if it is either of latter 2.
To read conditions see licence allowances document on side tags on www.nppl.uk.com
@Miscellaneous Actually i mis-read your question - you asked about them getting their microlight licence(/rating), i answered about getting their ssea (non-microlight) licence(/rating). The answer still lies in a different section of that document that I pointed at, but questions would go to BMAA if there were anything to query on microlight training and credits.
It gets more confusing by the day. :?

I would have thought the fact the instruction to conclude the training would be in a LAA Group A the LAA would be the better organisation to advise. :? Presumably either could answer what is a, hopefully, yes/no question.

Reply from LAA is that internal enquiries will be made and they'll get back to me.
Miscellaneous wrote:It gets more confusing by the day. :?

I would have thought the fact the instruction to conclude the training would be in a LAA Group A the LAA would be the better organisation to advise. :? Presumably either could answer what is a, hopefully, yes/no question.

Reply from LAA is that internal enquiries will be made and they'll get back to me.

Well it really depends on what flavour of licence they want issued... the BGA look after NPPL-SLMG issues and credits, the LAA look after NPPL-SSEA issues and credits, the BMA look after NPPL-M issues and credits.... and the CAA with EASA auditors hiding inside their underwear look after EASA licences. I had a call today, someone done a whole SLMG instructor course, not getting any credit for the ground school hours (three figure) for PPL(A) FI, of which a lot is 'classroom teaching technique' already covered. Pre-JAA, I got a lot of credit in a similar situation where I was able to show classroom experence