Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By thegasguy
Oh oh , went for lapl medical today, didn't even get to start.
I have AF and according to my AME that's game over, no medical of any sort.
I have found the CAA document " Pilots with atrial fibrillation: Guidance for Certification/ assessment of stroke risk for Cardiologists and AME's." issue 02/2016 v 1.1'
It gives a score from zero (best) to >5( worst) and matches it against licence type, from class 1 down to restricted lapl.
I have a score of zero plus a cardiologist report of no other health issues at all.
Can any one shed any light as to whether it carries any weight ( flyinDutch?)
I read it as allowing medical certificates for my condition,
perhaps I'm just whistling in the dark.
To be fair my AME looked for it when I mentioned it to him, but hadn't heard of it and could not find it.
I want an EASA licence to tour abroad, a big part of my flying.
Fingers crossed.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
EASA Medical Certification with AF is in principle possible, but obviously is something that is decided on a case by case basis.

The AMC for a LAPL can be found here.

(e) Rhythm and conduction disturbances
(1) Applicants with a significant disturbance of cardiac rhythm or conduction should be assessed as unfit unless a cardiological evaluation concludes that the disturbance is not likely to interfere with the safe exercise of the privileges of the LAPL

The guidance material is currently reviewed and updated so it is easier for AMEs to use - you might recognise some of the writing style :wink:

The guidance for Class 1 and 2 is found here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... kBBa5EIfPD

I would be surprised if an AME is not au fait with it.

We are also required to give pilots who have not been issued with a certificate, the heads up on the review process:

https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CAA ... al%202.pdf

If you want to have a chat let me know.
By thegasguy
Tailbob, already emailed it to him. He did say that he doesn't do many lapls at all, so he was unaware of this particular document.
I will get his feedback shortly I am sure.
FD, yes I would like to discuss in more detail on a professional basis to discover how my individual case could be assessed.
I could contact you via your work email with details if that suits?
We've both seen the class one and two medical requirements pages and algorithm , I have actually been through the Bruce protocol procedure before and re-gained my class two before AF returned.
That would not be a possible route now.
It's the lapl medical that is causing the confusion as it seems to me that outright refusal isn't indicated, a risk assessment of zero surely warrants at least looking at.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
thegasguy wrote:FD, yes I would like to discuss in more detail on a professional basis to discover how my individual case could be assessed.
I could contact you via your work email with details if that suits?

Drop me a PM or email via the forums and we can exchange emails.

thegasguy wrote:It's the lapl medical that is causing the confusion as it seems to me that outright refusal isn't indicated, a risk assessment of zero surely warrants at least looking at.

Yup, very much so.
By WingedSupra
Hey, I am sorry to hear about your issues. I hope it got sorted.

FYI I also 'have AF' in that I have had episodes of AF in the past, but I was able to get a full class 2 medical after the tests prescribed in the CAA document you saw.

Unfortunately I suffered another episode of AF last week which has grounded me but I do not think that recertification will be an issue, now that I'm back in Sinus rhythm, I am also classed as low risk on the risk scoring system. I just need a new ECG and echo and a cardiologist review... and then the same again annually going forward.

Out of interest is your AF permanent or intermittent?
By inkey20
I have Paroxysmal AF. Although I could get a class 2 medical, the associated costs for the tests EVERY YEAR would mean it was uneconomic for my requirements. However my AME granted me a LAPL medical certificate after a cardiologist review and a current ultrasound scan of my heart. He said it does not need doing every year provided there is no change; my condition is controlled with drugs which he cleared with the CAA medical team first. I think the AME is not looking at the lower standard required for LAPL. Good luck
By thegasguy
Thank all for your comments and good wishes.
I just returned from my lapl medical which I passed!
I had to do some leg work in finding, and pushing for recognition of, the CAA"s own risk assessment; but it's all worked out for the best.
I hope that in 2 years I can rely on a medical declaration for using a lapl abroad, then my worries are over once and for all - at least until my next medical condition comes along !
By PaulB
flybymike wrote:
I hope that in 2 years I can rely on a medical declaration for using a lapl abroad

That really would be progress!

So unlikely to happen......
flybymike liked this