Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I hope someone can clarify this for me. I've only had my IR(R) for a couple of months and not really had a chance to use it in anger yet (who'd have thought lack of clouds would be an issue in the UK :lol: )

What are the restrictions for a part-FCL licence with IR(R)?

I read the Bossman's Flyer article "The fog of confusion" which states no Class A, B or C airspace and 1800m vis.

However my licence says I'm "restricted to the privileges of the IMCr specified in the UK ANO". According to the ANO those are:
"An instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes) entitles the holder of the licence to
act as pilot in command or co-pilot of an aeroplane flying under the Instrument Flight Rules
except—
(a) in Class A airspace; or
(b) when the aeroplane is taking off or landing at any place if the flight visibility below cloud
is less than 1,500 metres."

When I was studying for the rating I thought I had figured it out but after reading the magazine article I'm not so sure. Is there something that I'm missing? :scratch:

Thanks
Dek
By Irv Lee
Well the 1500m for runways is a fairly recent change as otherwise an ifr landing using ir-r would require 300m better min vis than a vfr landing without one.
By Nick T
Interesting - I understood it as 1800m vis and No class A, B or C (this is having passed in the last month and having my instructor ask me those question specifically at the end of the skills test and us specifically discussing that the VFR limit was less restrictive). Has that changed then?
By Andrew Sinclair
FlightDek wrote:I read the Bossman's Flyer article "The fog of confusion" which states no Class A, B or C airspace...

FL600 > Class C >FL195
and there
is no Class B airspace in the UK where the IMC/IR(R) rating privileges are restricted to.

1800m to 1500m changed with SERA because >1500M = VMC anyway so the changed removed that problem.
By johnm
No class A access and B and C are unlikely to be relevant as @Instructor Errant rightly points out. As VFR visibility limits are now 1500 metres IR(R) limits have been harmonised. All approaches in Class D and below are available.
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By FlightDek
Nick T wrote:Interesting - I understood it as 1800m vis and No class A, B or C (this is having passed in the last month and having my instructor ask me those question specifically at the end of the skills test and us specifically discussing that the VFR limit was less restrictive). Has that changed then?

So, even the instructors are not sure :scratch:

Dek
By Andrew Sinclair
FlightDek wrote:
Instructor Errant wrote:FL600 > Class C >FL195

There is class C lower down. Look at the Iris sea from Liverpool to IOM

Dek

Funnily enough it was a quote from NATS website

"Class C. Class C airspace in the UK extends from Flight Level (FL) 195 (19,500 feet) to FL 600 (60,000 feet). Both IFR and Visual Flight Rules (VFR) flying is permitted in this airspace but pilots require clearance to enter and must comply with ATC instructions."

But then again why on earth would NATS know about airspace :lol: :roll:
FlightDek liked this
By FlightDek
BehyBill

Thanks for that. However, this also contributes to the confusion. I states no IFR flight in class A, B or C. The ANO only exludes class A. I have to assume the ANO is correct. I've emailed the CAA twice on this but got no response. :roll:

Dek
By johnm
You can fly IFR in Class C or B but other than the Holyhead CTA you’d need an aircraft tha5 would be motivating you to get a full IR.

Basically you can fly IFR on an IMCR IR(R) anywhere you can fly VFR
By BehyBill
VFR in class C in the UK is highly hypothetical, the CAA wording states "class C is above FL195 where VFR is not permitted unless specifically autorised" , good luck understanding that :D

I doubt you can get in as VFR en-route, though you can legally fly vfr in c airspace as per ppl previleges....

As far as I know IRR does not allow you to fly IFR in A, B, C