Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Markj
I currently hold an EASA PPL and a FAA 61.75 piggyback licence.

I have recently used the CAA self declaration route for my UK medical to fly in the UK but and would like to know the options for continuing to fly in the US, if there are any options?
Markj wrote:I currently hold an EASA PPL and a FAA 61.75 piggyback licence.

I have recently used the CAA self declaration route for my UK medical to fly in the UK but and would like to know the options for continuing to fly in the US, if there are any options?

You need an EASA medical to validate the EASA licence OR an FAA medical.

The Self Declaration can not be used to fly on an FAA license either an 61.75 or a full license.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote: ....or an FAA medical.
The Self Declaration can not be used to fly on an FAA license either an 61.75 or a full license.

A bit of a long shot (not yet there :D ), will a class 3 faa medical helps of it has to be ICAO class 2?
Although it was many moons ago,(before EASA) when I went to Florida to do the FAA/IR to attach to my 61.75 FAA piggyback, the FAA/ IR examiner would not accept my CAAMedical just before the flight test.
He paced up and down fuming until the FBO remembered there was a US AME just across the street and called him.He fitted me in (it was a Saturday morning) and he even observed the time-honoured custom of not charging a fellow medic.

Flight test only delayed by 20 mins and I passed

Peter :wink: .
Is an EASA LAPL Medical certificate equivalent to an FAA Class 3? Could a piggy back licence be issued with a LAPL Medical and where a full EASA PPL is held?
No - The FAA Class 3 is ICAO compliant; a LAPL Medical is not.

And at the moment you cannot validate an EASA PPL with a LAPL medical and even when you can do that (hopefully some time soon) it will only validate the PPL to LAPL privileges and the LAPL Licence is not ICAO compliant.