Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By karlbown
Went to see my AME today as my medical was running out and I had a heart attack in May and knew I wasn't going to get a new certificate.

My licence is EASA PPL. The doctor said I had two options to continue to fly.

a) Swap my licence for a LAPL, and self declare under the LAPL scheme
b) Keep my PPL but Self Declare under the recently introduced PPL scheme - but no night or instrument flying (I don't have either rating), and no flying in Europe (probably not going to do that in the near future anyway)

I couldn't see the benefit of swapping to a LAPL at the moment so I went onto the CAA website and completed the form for a:
"EU Part- Flight Crew Licensing (FCL) Private Pilot Licence (PPL) to fly non-EASA aircraft"
and sent it off.

Now to my questions, thanks for your patience!

Is this the right application for me?

Do I need to wait for it to be approved or am I now self declared as soon as I complete the form?

What does it mean by Non-EASA aircraft? I currently fly a Jodel on the LAA register, is this ok?

Thanks for any guidance you can give. Looking forward to getting back in the air after nine months off with cancer and a heart attack. Fingers crossed I've got it right!
By cotterpot
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I don't think you can 'self declare. I have clipped out the bits from the CAA notes below that may be relevant

If you have, or have had, one or more of these conditions

Being prescribed medication or treatment for angina or heart failure
Cardiac surgical procedures including cardiac device implantation

You must visit an AME and apply for a LAPL medical certificate.
By karlbown
But isn't that for only over 2 tonnes aircraft? Apparently under 2 tonnes only psychiatric medicines stop you flying.

This is what I got from the CAA website
"To only fly aircraft no greater than 2000 kg MTOM

You may fly an aircraft no greater than 2000kg MTOM, provided you are not taking medication for any psychiatric illness. If you are taking medication for a psychiatric illness you must consult an AME and apply for a LAPL medical certificate."

Cheers

Karl

cotterpot wrote:I don't think you can 'self declare. I have clipped out the bits from the CAA notes below that may be relevant

If you have, or have had, one or more of these conditions

Being prescribed medication or treatment for angina or heart failure
Cardiac surgical procedures including cardiac device implantation

You must visit an AME and apply for a LAPL medical certificate.
By townleyc
Firstly you have my sympathy - I had a heart attack (MI) at the end of 2008 - about 4 months after I passed my GST. Due to scared stand in GP, it took me just short of 2 years before I got an NPPL medical.

I think you will find that an MI is not covered by the quote above anyway.

Best of luck and keep flying!

KE
karlbown liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Keep your licence <-not medical advice

If someone is flying sub 2000kg, doesn't take medication for a psychiatric illness, and has't been told by a medic they cannot drive a car with an ordinary driving license or have a reason to know/think they cannot -> they can do the self declaration and fly*

*this is not personal medical advice!
karlbown, flybymike liked this
By Dodo
Again this is definitely not medical advice: actually it can't be, as I am now completely retired and have relinquished my GMC registration.

I thought that there was nothing about having a psychiatric diagnosis, only taking treatment...

from http://www.caa.co.uk/general-aviation/pilot-licences/medical-requirements/medical-requirements-for-private-pilots/

To only fly aircraft no greater than 2000 kg MTOM
You may fly an aircraft no greater than 2000kg MTOM, provided you are not taking medication for any psychiatric illness. If you are taking medication for a psychiatric illness you must consult an AME and apply for a LAPL medical certificate.
A le Ron liked this
By sampompey
Could some help clear this up for me Please.

Can I apply for the new CAA self decoration medical whilst a "student" with no PPL ?

I see my self as young fit to fly and the aircraft weight is under the 2000kg requirement any idea's or help.

Thank you. Sam.
By Irv Lee
@sampompey Well students such as microlight students must be able do it, but if you are ab-initio, and going for a ppl(a) or ppl(h), or lapl(a) or (h), then as a student, it is no use to you until you get your licence.
Ps: I have not read all the 2018 posts above but various things have changed and possibly some even changed back since then! They need rechecking.
By kanga
sampompey wrote:.. CAA self decoration...

As long as it is not an unearned UK military 'flying badge', you can sew anything onto your grobag AFAIK :)
flybymike, skydriller, Rob P and 2 others liked this