Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By agfoxx
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi all,

Grateful for advice.

I've got an NPPL (M) and about 90 hours on a combination of 3-axis microlights and gliders.

I'm 42, and I've been made redundant at work. I rather fancy spending some of the generous redundancy payout on getting a CPL or another professional flying qualification. I have no intention whatsoever of going into the airline world, but I'd be very keen to be able to do a bit of instructing, a bit of scenic flights, a bit of ferrying, perhaps, etc.

The dream job would be to fly that Caravan on floats that lives at Loch Lomond (yes, I know it needs 1000 hours float time - I'm just giving you an idea).

I'm aware that I will almost certainly not be able to make a living out of GA - so it'll probably (unless somebody can convince me otherwise) be just a way to have a "sponsored hobby".

Can you guys please advise me about the best course of action? I **think** (perhaps wrongly) that it wold be:
NPPL (M) - NPPL (SSEA) - LAPL -Class 1 Medical - PPL - hour-building in America or similar - CPL

Does this sound right?

Am I better off doing the PPL onwards here on in America?

Also, am I over-complicating things and I am potentially better off just staying in the microlight world and getting an instructor rating in it?

Thank you so much!
By Bathman
If you didn't get add an SSEA rating to your NPPL then you can't convert it to a LAPL. So you would have to basically start again and do the whole LAPL or PPL course.

The FAA however do recognise some types of microlight as Single Engine Land and these hours can be used towards a PPL or CPL. Then convert your FAA CPL/IR back to a EASA CPL/IR via the CBIR route.

In fact I know one chap who in the process of doing that now. However he hasn't bothered with the EASA conversion yet as he is working full time on his FAA tickets.

Have you thought about a microlight instructor rating?
By agfoxx
Thanks, Bathman. A few additional questions:
1) That chap you know, - is he working here in the UK? What is it that he's doing? Are there enough N-registered aircraft here for him to fly?
2) Microlight rating - yes, I've thought about it, but, having spoken to a few instructors, you need to own at least two aircraft in order for it all to work, and you need to be trained in both weightshift and 3-axis (weightshift seems to be more popular with ab initio students, according to people I've spoken to). This is extra financial outlay + differences training which I'm not yet convinced I want to do....
By 4535jacks
Thought I would add my two-pence:

I got my NPPL(M) in 2011 and shortly afterwards bought a 3-axis microlight. A year later and with 90hrs in my logbook I decided to upgrade to Gp A so I did an NPPL(M) to NPPL(SSEA) upgrade which took about 5 hours and one theory exam. Then after flying my Gp A aircraft for a few years I decided I wanted to become a commercial pilot and so applied for a LAPL which involved getting a LAPL medical and then completing an application and paying the CAA - no flight instruction nor test required.

I now have 130hrs on my LAPL and 90 hours on my NPPL(M). I am 3 hours into a 10-hour LAPL to PPL conversion. I have also done 3.5hrs of the night rating but issues with ATC and now the time of last light has put a halt on it till later in the year. As part of my PPL conversion I am doing a Class 1 medical and a 300nm supervised nav. I am hour building on a Piper cub I have a share in, glider towing at two gliding clubs and flying some club aircraft.

Next I will do ATPL theory and at the same time an IMC rating which can be used towards a CBIR. Once that is complete and after I have flown a further 55hrs (bring the total to 185) I will do the CPL. Any hours flown in 3-axis microlights doesn't count towards a CPL and so you need fly the whole 175-185hrs required to start a CPL again. The difference between the 175hrs and 185hrs is based on if you have a BIFM. If you do an IR(R) rating at an ATO authorised to teach full IR then they will also issue your with a BIFM which removes the need for an instrument flying module from the CPL and reduces the course from 25hrs to 15hrs.

So key bits:

NPPL(M) to CPL Route:
NPPL(M) to NPPL(SSEA) - Approx 5 hours instruction, GFT and 1xTheory Exam (Aircraft Gen). Licence Fee
NPPL(SSEA) to LAPL(A) - Medical (LAPL/Class1/Class2) and application to CAA with licence fee. No theory requirements. Must have evidence of instrument appreciation in logbook (make sure you do it as part of NPPL(M) to NPPL(SSEA) cse)
LAPL(A) to PPL(A) - Must have flown 15 hours since LAPL issue. Need min of Class 2 medical. 10hrs at an ATO (min 4hrs supervised solo). GFT and licence fee to CAA
PPL(A) to CPL(A) - Must have total of 200hrs (excluding microlight hrs) with 100hrs PIC upon completion of CPL cse. 5 hrs night flying. 1x300nm cross-country flight. ATPL or CPL theory (most get ATPL theory). Class 1 medical. CPL GFT and licence fee to CAA.
By agfoxx
Thanks, 4535Jacks, but I thought this route is no longer available because NPPL SSEA issued after April 18 can no longer be converted to LAPL?
By 4535jacks
agfoxx wrote:Thanks, 4535Jacks, but I thought this route is no longer available because NPPL SSEA issued after April 18 can no longer be converted to LAPL?

I am afraid I don't know about that as I converted mine in 2016. If that is the case then maybe getting a PPL in the using your microlight hours as credit and then converting to EASA PPL is the way to go......
By agfoxx
Yes, that does sound like a possible way forward - assuming I can find somewhere that's willing to credit my microlight hours. So far the ATOs I've spoken to are all saying that this cannot be done.
By Balliol
Right now - no. However with the extensions on national licence usage it would make total sense to extend the conversion report allowances - fingers crossed that will get considered and approved, otherwise the mircolighters will be cut off from progression which makes no sense.
By Bathman
Just a random thought but what about a upgrade process to allow an NPPL(SSEA) to upgrade to a UK PPL?

That would have nothing to do with EASA and would give a ICAO compliant PPL. To which you could add night and IMC ratings and as its an ICAO compiant licence it would allow you to start a CPL. (EASA or FAA)
Paul_Sengupta liked this