Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Mr.Meerkat
Hey guys, I'm currently doing training for a PPL and hope to eventually obtain an CPL+IR/ATPL. As I'm doing my PPL, 3 days ago, I did my initial class two and ermmm, I didn't quite get it? Due to a number of factors, my AME wants me to visit a cardiologist so I can get a heart scan and potentially a physical ECG as well. This does mean that there is a slight chance that I will fail to obtain a class two. However, talking with instructors, I have found out that you can get a medical with a safety pilot restriction. As the information regarding it seems pretty limited (and my AME just went on holiday so I can't ask her), in the event I do fail, I wonder if I could get a medical with that restriction (and its accompanying licence?) and thus wondered if anyone had any information regarding it (both generally and specifically what conditions would excluded).

Thanks!
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Without knowing what the query is and the outcome of the cardiological test and review it is impossible what the outcome in relation to a medical certificate is.

Medicals with limitations can be issued for a number of conditions.

The commonest (for Class 2/LAPL) limitations are OSL - with a safety pilot only and OPL - not valid with passengers.

The first means no solo flight, the second is obvious. A new limitation is due to be introduced which is in fact a combo of both the OSL and OPL which means people can either fly solo or with a safety pilot.

Your best bet is to get the cardio stuff sorted out as soon as practical so you know what is what.

Final point - if the ultimate aim is something for which you require a Class 1 you should consider getting one before starting to fork out on ground school etc for CPL/IR.
Mr.Meerkat liked this
By flybymike
The commonest (for Class 2/LAPL) limitations are OSL - with a safety pilot only

I’ve never understood the contention that passengers may not be carried when a safety pilot is on board.

I mean he can either fly the blimmin aeroplane or he can’t.
By cockney steve
^^^^^^^^Oh! C'mon!- If the safety pilot falls ill and his /her (PC!) services are needed due to the PIC presenting with the problem that needed a safety- pilot endorsement, then the pax/schools/puppy-farms would all be at grave risk..

My! I should have been a civil serpent!
By TopCat
cockney steve wrote:^^^^^^^^Oh! C'mon!- If the safety pilot falls ill and his /her (PC!) services are needed due to the PIC presenting with the problem that needed a safety- pilot endorsement, then the pax/schools/puppy-farms would all be at grave risk..

How is this not an argument for mandating two pilots (both with medicals) at all times when carrying passengers?
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:-snip-.

Thanks for the reply! I have an appointment booked with my GP next week and will be contacting a private cardiologist as well however as my sister (and her friends) are medical students, they wanted to have a look at my ECG (specifically my sister) and they think I may have HCM (Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). Of course, I'll wait until its a cardiologist that tells me what is wrong (or if there's nothing wrong) but considering HCM symptoms match almost perfectly to issues my mother have/has had, it would make some sense (she only had her ECHO and physical ECG done about a month ago so she doesn't actually know whether she has any heart problem or not).

Anyway, that is what I'm planning on doing. I was actually never planning on getting a class two and was originally planning on getting a class one, before I even started my PPL. However, due to time constraints (i.e. I have to be done by mid-August), I ended up only having the time to get a class two. I guess if I really do have something wrong, when I get my class one, hopefully I can get one with an OML restriction, which isn't ideal but will still at least let me go commercial.
By Tarcwin
I have been issued a LAPL with OSL and I am a student pilot. As the requirement for training is Solo, I cannot complete my training with OSL. I have asked the CAA and AME. 2 months and still no answer. The CAA says they have a backlog. Very disappointing. Also letter fromCAA not very helpful in defining risk and their decision. Appealing. :(
By T6Harvard
@Tarcwin , we have a number of flyers at my airfield who cannot get their medical cert but who fly weekly with an instructor via the wonderful Aerobility charity.
They have all the skills, do all the flying, throughly enjoy their time airborne, but there is always someone in the right seat. So no licence, but still flying. I appreciate that this may not be your ideal scenario, but if flying is a passion this may be be something to consider?
kanga liked this
Tarcwin wrote:I have been issued a LAPL with OSL and I am a student pilot. As the requirement for training is Solo, I cannot complete my training with OSL. I have asked the CAA and AME. 2 months and still no answer. The CAA says they have a backlog. Very disappointing. Also letter fromCAA not very helpful in defining risk and their decision. Appealing. :(

I have been in communication with the CAA, I asked the question through email to Cellma. A reply came bck 2 months later. As your AME to ask the question. My AME wrote to the Dr in CAA and never received a reply 2 months later. I complained to the CAA, guess what they said ask your AME to post the question in Cellma. He did, I chased 2 months later. The CAA said they had posted an answer. They had not. They sent me last years letter about the result. So still no answer to the fundamental question. “How do I go solo with an OSL as a student. Still no answer. They say I at risk of a cardiovascular failure. Diabetic Type 2 under very good control with insulin, failed to achieve 9minutes on Bruce protocol. 6 minutes achieved 98% hert stress achieved, nothing unusuL. Many people I see flying with heart conditions, type 1 etc. surely I am at less risk! Ever ending story with CAA.