Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
I am looking at doing an IR(R) course but I want to get a BIFM certificate at the same time. Can only ATOs authorised to teach full IR issue them or could an IRI at a register flying club (RTF) registered to deliver PPL only issue the certificate off the back of an IR(R) course?
According to the CAA website at :
http://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Training/IR-modular/IR-(A)-modular-course/

(Sorry, you'll have to copy and paste the link as the link structure seems to confuses the Flyer software... :roll: :roll: )

Basic instrument flight module

This consists of 10 hours of instrument time under instruction, of which up to 5 hours can be instrument ground time in a BITD, FNPT I or II, or an FFS. Once you have completed this you will be issued with a course completion certificate.

Procedural instrument flight module

This consists of the remainder of the training syllabus for the IR(A), 40 hours single engine or 45 hours multi-engine instrument time under instruction and the theoretical knowledge course for the IR(A).

Completing your training

All instructional stages must be completed in one continuous, approved course of training.

That implies that the BIFM course (even though it's covered in the IR(R) anyway) must be 'approved'; ipso facto, it may only be provided by an ATO.

However, I would be delighted to be told that my deduction is incorrect!
The other problem is that when teaching for a single engine CPL to an IMC holder. Is you have to spend (waste) 10 hours of the 25 hour CPL course teaching them instrument flying which they already know.

More daftness is that these 10 hours of instrument instruction for the CPL can be taught by an instructor who has no qualification to teach instrument instruction at all! Yet it counts as a BIFM!

An IMC rating sound count as a BIFM.
Bathman wrote:More daftness is that these 10 hours of instrument instruction for the CPL can be taught by an instructor who has no qualification to teach instrument instruction at all!

Didn’t know that, everyday a school day as they say.

The IMC holder would be better off doing an IR then using that as a credit to reduce the CPL course hours.
Thanks all.

I have spoken to a few ATOs qualified to deliver IR who can award a BIFM as part of an IR(R) course but the cost is double the cost of an IR(R) at my flying club (£3000vs£1500). Getting a BIFM saves about £2000 off the cost of a CPL so it is cost effective to pay more now to do an IR(R) with an ATO that teaches IR. But the time it will take me to save the extra wonga would likely mean that I will miss the Apr 19 IR(R) deadline.

I am hoping that the CAA publishes more info on the BIR soon. If an IR(R) can be converted to a BIR easily and a BIR counts as a BIFM and reduces the CPL by 10hrs then it may work out well for me to do the cheaper IR(R) without BIFM.

However, since this is likely to save me money then I would be surprised if the CAA adopts this!
4535jacks wrote:I am hoping that the CAA publishes more info on the BIR soon. If an IR(R) can be converted to a BIR easily and a BIR counts as a BIFM and reduces the CPL by 10hrs then it may work out well for me to do the cheaper IR(R) without BIFM.

Why not do an IR(R) and then credit the hours to gain an IR via the CB-IR training route. Then the CPL course is reduced in the same manner. Your TK will count for the IR via CB-IR route and will also mean the HPA restriction will not be a problem either.
Apologies, I read your post to mean you were somehow waiting for some movement on the introduction of the Basic Instrument Rating (BIR) when the CB-IR training route to full EASA IR is already available with credits for the IR(R) so I was suggesting that the CB-IR training route may be a better alternative.