Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By george7378
Hi all,

If I want to revalidate my SEP rating by experience, I have to do 12 hours, one of which is with an instructor, all within the 12 months before expiry.

I'll be leaving the country for a year (maybe two) in a couple of months, and I've just entered the 12 month period until expiry of my SEP (it expires in May 2019).

If I did my 'hour with an instructor' in the coming few weeks, then waited until April 2019 to renew, what would the new expiry date of my SEP be? Would I get another two years starting from May '19, or would it renew from the time I flew with the instructor?

I guess my overall question is 'what should I be mindful of when sorting out my SEP renewal time'?

Thanks in advance :)
By ak7274
You have until May 2019 to get 12 hrs of which 6 must be PIC.

To revalidate the rating you must complete the following:

Pass a proficiency check in a single-engine (single-pilot) aeroplane with an examiner. The proficiency check must take place within the 3 months immediately before the rating’s expiry date;
OR
12 hours of flight time in single-engine (single-pilot) aeroplane within the 12 months preceding the rating’s expiry date, including the following:
6 hours as pilot-in-command (PIC)
12 take-offs and landings
a training flight of at least 1 hour (or a maximum of three totalling 1 hour) with the same flight instructor or class rating instructor. If you have already completed a proficiency check or skill test in another type or class of aeroplane, you will not have to complete this training flight.

If you completed 12 hrs including an hour with an instructor the first week into the second year of your validity period, you will get until end of May 2021.
george7378, scd975 liked this