Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By richardhaupt
Hi all

I will be moving from South Africa to the UK in the next few months and have been trying to find out more about converting my current South African PPL. From what I've read so far I want to confirm a few things, as well as ask some addition things that I haven't been able to find out.

So starting with the confirmation part:
I believe that from the 8th of April this year all certified aircraft (other than those listed in "annex 2") must be flown by an EASA licence, so I presume an EASA PPL is what I'd be aiming for?
I also understand that I will need 100 hours total time in aircraft heavier than 450kg - I presume this means that time in 600kg LSA's is fine?
Also, I understand I'd need an EASA medical, would need to write Air law and human performance exams, and would need to do a UK ground and radio practical test?
Finally, I understand I'd need to be recommended for the initial PPL-SEP test before passing said test at an EASA ATO?

Then, the additional things:
In South Africa our licences would include ratings for lager aircraft, but all SEP aircraft under 5800kg are combined in the "SEP" class. For each variant of aircraft in this class, C172, PA28, C206, etc, is endorsed in the logbook but also noted on a "file copy" document. Additionally, things like night rating are also noted on the "file copy" document. How are individual SEP aircraft recorded on the EASA PPL?

If anyone can shed some light on the things above I'd be very appreciative.

Richard
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You can fly uk reg easa sep types that you currently have signed off as valid in S.A. whilst addressing conversion stuff when here, if you get your SA licence processed and confirmed using the uk easa validation process.
If you intend to fly fewer than 28 separate days this year, google CAA form srg 2141 and 2142. The crazy thing is that for actual licence conversion after all the exams and test, everything in the SA side must be valid when you convert and when they issue the licence. As they are seriously failing turn around targets, this time between submission and issue is indeterminate. You could easily be told to get a new S.A. medical that you will never use, despite having an easa medical, just because they have a platinum plated interpretation of conversion rules and your conversion application sat gathering dust in an in tray until your S.A. medical expired.
Moving across Sep types:
Most uk hobby GA pilots don't realise there is the concept of and requirement for "familiarisation" when moving between Sep types - never explained to them and as there is no requirement to sign off or log familiarisation.or fill in a form, or needing an instructor to do it, so most don't know what it is. Most hobby pilots only understand "differences training" which is mandatory for certain Sep complications but only when met for the first time- e.g. retract wheels or variable prop - which must be signed off in log book by instructor teaching it.
By Franco Marais
I am trying to do the same. I moved from SA to Gloucester in the UK a few months ago and busy converting my PPL. My SA PPL lapse on the 30th of this month but my medical is still valid for another 2 years. Will this be a problem as I know that a PPL is still legal for 5 years after the Lapse date of the license? I won't be able to go back to SA for at least 6 months to get my PPL license valid again.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Franco Marais It will be a show stopper for ppl conversion. The caa insist that easa want (what amounts to) the licence being usable as p1 in the home country on conversion, even though your licence as a document has a ten year expiry date. Others have wasted 4 figure sums to be turned down on application. Examiners and clubs appealed but EASA have papal infallibility. If you had an expired commercial licence you would be ok, you would just need an assesment report of what you need, but as a ppl converting to easa ppl you are stuffed.... they even protect their non icao lapl from well experienced and even better trained foreign icao ppls who have dared let a foreign medical or biennial competency check that will nevet be used again lapse by a day.
It is either nppl and its limitations or back to SA to get valid or full easa ppl course and exams with a little p1 credit.
By Franco Marais
Thanks for the very informative reply. I was going to complete the conversion before the my license expires but I found out yesterday that I also need a letter from CAA SA so it seems like its a impossible mission at the minute. Thanks again.