Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By aerfungus
Just getting some mixed messages. Is it now too late for the holder of an NPPL(M) to convert to NPPL (SSEA) and then directly obtain LAPL. My understanding is that 8 Apr was the deadline,
Tks
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In order to take advantage of the conversion agreement detailed in CAP 804 Section 4 Part P which allows the holder of a NPPL with SSEA class rating to convert to a LAPL(A) via paperwork process only, the national licence holder must have held those national privileges prior to 08th April 2018.

If you didn't already hold NPPL with a SSEA class rating on 08th April 2018 and wish to obtain a LAPL(A), you must complete the full LAPL course and skill test in order to obtain a LAPL(A).

Cookie
By Balliol
However.... I think it could be possible to go NPPL(M) to NPPL(SLMG), then convert to LAPL(A) with TMG then add the SEP to the LAPL. Sounds torture but could be quicker than a full LAPL(A)...
By DavidC
I spoke to a chap who had a lapsed NPPL(SSEA). Am I correct in thinking he can simply renew that rating, and will still qualify to apply for the LAPL conversion since the original rating was issued prior to the cut-off date?
By Cookie
@DavidC , that's correct. CAP 804 Section 4 Part P page 12.

ATB Cookie
By aerfungus
Don't want to resurrect this, but just been told by a guy who contacted CAA that they intend to extend 'new' NPPL SSEA conversion to LAPL to Apr 2019. I've asked him to get this confirmed in email. Anyone know of intended policy change?
By Irv Lee
Well many are hoping that as the end of 6th year (Sept 17th) of EASA confusion and dearth of EASA fixes to grass roots issues that they have created, there may be some relief coming for which we are supposed to say "well done EASA, only 6 years, who would have thought you would get round to us so soon?". (It is fair enough to praise the CAA for mitigations already seen though.)
It is incredible how precious Easa has been with the lapl(a), a non icao leisure licence restricted to EASA states unless further recognised locally (eg Jersey). As well as "too late" issued nppl-ssea holders:
-There are pilots who have flown modern sep-like microlights on tours around Europe who are told to do a full lapl course.
-There are very competent foreign ppl holders whose mistake was to be skilled enough to get their icao ppls in minimum time and have not yet reached 55 hours post licence as they have come to Europe before getting in close range of that magic number of 100 hours total is reached which will allow them to be competence checked and tested for even a Lapl . Yet they see barely competent pilots with the same foreign icao ppl who took 100 hours to learn who are allowed to convert to a full ppl. Many very competent foreign pilots have had superior training to UK students, for example they have done at least a couple of actual spin recoveries and good engine management is built in from day one, something tbey will have knocked out of them on their full lapl courses.
-There are very experienced pilots with many hundreds of reasonably recent sep hours, with in-date foreign licences but recently expired sep privileges, who are told to do full courses to get a lapl, a non icao hobby licence!
Qalupalik liked this
By B1engineer
aerfungus wrote:Don't want to resurrect this, but just been told by a guy who contacted CAA that they intend to extend 'new' NPPL SSEA conversion to LAPL to Apr 2019. I've asked him to get this confirmed in email. Anyone know of intended policy change?

Great news if its true.
Agree with Irv, why do they need to be so protective over a sub icao leisure licence, designed to allow vfr pleasure flying.

B1