Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Sorry to bring up an old topic which has been done to death - I'm just reading an awful lot of conflicting information on the topic and I'm hoping for some up-to-date clarification (if such a thing is possible).

I've been flying aerobatics in an LAA reg aircraft for the past couple of years (so prior to April 2018), but I've only ever held a UK CAA issued EASA licence, and never a UK or JAR-FCL licence.

I now want the rating added so that I can fly aerobatics in EASA aircraft, but the guidance seems to indicate that having only ever held an EASA licence, I must complete an AOPA course or an aeros ratings course at an ATO. Is this correct? CAP804 does indicate that had I previously held a national or JAR FCL licence issued before April 2018, that I could use evidence of experience (i.e. competing at BAeA events) to have the rating added. However, I've also read that the CAA are being reasonable about this and applying the same criteria to EASA part-fcl licences. I did call the CAA and the person I had on the phone didn't really seem to know much about the aeros rating, but did refer me to CAP 804, so that was inconclusive.

If I complete SRG 2157 and include evidence of competing in 2017, will this likely be enough to have the rating added to my existing EASA licence? The form also lists a certified copy of my Certificate of Revalidation as one of the pieces of paperwork to be sent along. This isn't a licence conversion, however. Will they just send me a new licence with the rating to replace my existing one?

Any information and clarification would be greatly welcomed. Thanks for taking the time to read!

PS
Why isn't the CAA digital yet? Sigh...

PPS
Reading cookie's response here: viewtopic.php?p=1427285#p1427285

Does this mean I'm too late, and that I should have pulled my finger out and gotten this done before April?
I have not long applied before the perceived exception ran out on 01 April 2018, when the requirement to have a “rating” for aerobatics was deferred until.

I have only ever held an EASA License.

I sent them the 2157 form, any log book with annotated aerobatic sorties (countersigned by instructors) and my license itself. They told me countersigned copies were not accepted.
I also included a certificate of competence, basically a letter from a recognised aerobatic instructor, stating that I had performed to his satisfaction the prerequisite theory and practical aerobatic exercises incl spinning and recovery from UA. He listed the CAA specs and recommended my approval for an aerobatic rating. Obviously his details were included.

The easy ways were evidence of taking part in a BAEA event, course completion of AOPA course.
Probably a bit harder evidence of grandfather aeros and letter of recommendation...

It’s been with them for a while now - think it’s on its way back, so I’ll let you know what they have said if you like!
TTFN
Thanks for the response.

That's interesting - so you're in a similar position to me, but with the key difference being that you sent off your application prior to April 2018. Bit concerning that they've had your licence for more than a month.